Following duelling campaigns of fear, a reliance on misinformation, and every poll heralding itself as the poll to end all polls, many people in the UK are confused – both as to what the EU even is, and how they ultimately intend on voting for it.
Although some have sought to stomp out the flaming dog turd of deception with the sure-footed loafer of facts, here at Off the Perch we’ve opted to just let people get on with it.
- 18% of Brits think that Europeans walk on their hands and eat with their feet.
- 42% of Brits wonder why we’re even bothering with this EU when we could just join forces with our neighbours in Germany and France.
- 25% of Brits were planning on voting against whatever the Tory party wanted, and as a result of the Conservative civil war have found themselves sucked into some sort of reality paradox.
- 35% of Brits believe that not only are we wasting £350m a week, but that all of that money is used as toilet roll for the millions of tedious megacrats who work at the European Union’s Fortress of Ineptitude.
- 98% of Brits are voting based on sheer spite.
- 27% of Brits think the EU is actually doing an excellent job – largely because they themselves are reasonably well off, so why not, eh?
- 100% of Brits know that at least 90% of what they’re hearing is complete and utter nonsense, and yet in the absence of anything good on the telly, have decided to just go with it.
- 14% of Brits think we need to leave because the EU is like a mafia, but they’re not up-to-speed with how crime organisations deal with deserters.
- 72% of Brits aren’t that worried, because they know that they’ll wake up soon and find themselves in the real world where grown-up debate is an actual thing.
- 4% of Brits think that we should honour our pledge to the Stark family and concentrate on the real threat – the white walkers beyond the wall.
- 30% of Brits think that branding the entirety of Brexit supporters as “racists” is a strong argument that will win Brexiteers over.
- 82% of Brits only believe the polls that agree with them.
- 49% of Brits will just f*ck off to Spain if we can’t get a grip on immigration.
- 1% of Brits have been swayed by David Cameron’s arguments for remaining, and in most cases that’s only because they misheard quite a lot of what he said.
- 18% of Brits who respect Jeremy Corbyn’s truthful approach to politics are annoyed that he’s insisting on admitting that in truth the EU is actually just a little bit abhorrent.
- 24% of Brits think that a devalued pound will be good for exports, leading to a boom for all of the… manufacturing industries… that we… err…
Regardless of which side is the least wrong, however, I think we can all agree that a combination of brazenly crooked politicians, a corporately-owned “free” media, and a tendency for education and culture to mainly focus on our historical greatest hits has led to a situation which can only be described as:
Steroid-fuelled hyper-nonsense on stilts – on ice – on drugs.
You’ve gotta laugh, but as the Referendum won’t be decided by a laughometer, it would also be a good idea to vote.
We need your help to keep speaking the truth
Every story that you have come to us with; each injustice you have asked us to investigate; every campaign we have fought; each of your unheard voices we amplified; we do this for you. We are making a difference on your behalf.
Our fight is your fight. You’ve supported our collective struggle every time you gave us a like; and every time you shared our work across social media. Now we need you to support us with a monthly donation.
We have published nearly 2,000 articles and over 50 films in 2021. And we want to do this and more in 2022 but we don’t have enough money to go on at this pace. So, if you value our work and want us to continue then please join us and be part of The Canary family.
In return, you get:
* Advert free reading experience
* Quarterly group video call with the Editor-in-Chief
* Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
* 20% discount in our shop
Almost all of our spending goes to the people who make The Canary’s content. So your contribution directly supports our writers and enables us to continue to do what we do: speaking truth, powered by you. We have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence our vital opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right-wing mainstream media.
With your help we can continue:
* Holding political and state power to account
* Advocating for the people the system marginalises
* Being a media outlet that upholds the highest standards
* Campaigning on the issues others won’t
* Putting your lives central to everything we do
We are a drop of truth in an ocean of deceit. But we can’t do this without your support. So please, can you help us continue the fight?