When Theresa May first promised us that “Brexit means Brexit”, people responded to the slogan in three main ways:
So if Brexit means Brexit, what does Brexit mean?
You’re kidding me? This? This is the best they could come up with?
THE STUPID! IT BURNS!
“But at least this must be the low point of Brexit rhetoric?” we assured ourselves. “It can’t get any worse than this, right?”
Dumb, dumber, dumbest
And then came the “red, white, and blue Brexit”. Which means what, exactly? WHICH MEANS WHAT?
Are you talking about the Union Jack? Or are you confirming our commitment to being the good little lapdog that curls up at the bottom of President Trump’s stars-and-stripes bedspread?
Maybe it’s a reference to the fact that you’re making us all look like clowns?
Whatever it is, people once more reassured themselves that this was it. This was the scraping sound at the bottom of the Tories’ bargain-banter barrel.
And yet we were wrong.
Unexpectedly, the government has once more had an internal memo leak. By which we of course mean expectedly.
The contents of this memo were the quasi-patriotic gibberish that they considered before “red, white, and blue”.
And the following is the contents of said memo:
- Full English Brexit.
- Jim May’ll Brexit.
- Things can only get Brexitter.
- I can’t believe it’s not Brexit. Or is it? I’m not even sure how we’d tell…
- Stiff upper Brexit.
- You Brexit, you pay for it.
- Brexit through the gift shop.
- Can we Brexit? Yes we can! (Within two-to-ten-to-18 years, all things going well).
- Keep calm and BREXIT!
- Knowing me, Brexit EU.
- The only way is Brexit.
- May the PM: “Can she BREXIT?” May the PM: *Keeps her cards close to her chest and asks people to stop weakening her bargaining position by asking all these relevant questions*.
- Now that’s what I call Brexit!
- This time next year, we’ll be £350m-a-week-better-off-illionaires (actual amount and time period may vary).
- It ain’t Brexit till it’s Brexit.
- Don’t break my heart, my exit-Brexit heart. I just don’t think he’ll understand. Because if you break my heart, my exit-Brexit heart, we’ll have to give more tax breaks to Japan.
Never stop brelieving
If there’s one thing that this year has taught us, it’s this:
Never stop believing.
Never stop believing that the government can carry on getting worse and worse. That a more stupid buzzword will be found. And especially that a more absurd politician will just crawl out of the woodwork as soon as the last one’s scurried away.
Featured image via Flickr
In-story image via Flickr
We need your help to keep speaking the truth
Every story that you have come to us with; each injustice you have asked us to investigate; every campaign we have fought; each of your unheard voices we amplified; we do this for you. We are making a difference on your behalf.
Our fight is your fight. You’ve supported our collective struggle every time you gave us a like; and every time you shared our work across social media. Now we need you to support us with a monthly donation.
We have published nearly 2,000 articles and over 50 films in 2021. And we want to do this and more in 2022 but we don’t have enough money to go on at this pace. So, if you value our work and want us to continue then please join us and be part of The Canary family.
In return, you get:
* Advert free reading experience
* Quarterly group video call with the Editor-in-Chief
* Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
* 20% discount in our shop
Almost all of our spending goes to the people who make The Canary’s content. So your contribution directly supports our writers and enables us to continue to do what we do: speaking truth, powered by you. We have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence our vital opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right-wing mainstream media.
With your help we can continue:
* Holding political and state power to account
* Advocating for the people the system marginalises
* Being a media outlet that upholds the highest standards
* Campaigning on the issues others won’t
* Putting your lives central to everything we do
We are a drop of truth in an ocean of deceit. But we can’t do this without your support. So please, can you help us continue the fight?