UKIP has had a tough old month. It began when its leader and third in line to the throne, Lieutenant Paul “Thunder Guns” Nuttall, failed to become an MP. And things (somehow!) only spiralled downwards from there. Primarily because:
- The party’s chief donor, Arron Banks, said that if the current clowns in charge didn’t make him the ring-master, he’d go and set up his own circus.
- A conspiracy theory that Nigel Farage shared from a known conspiracy theory site turned out to be a conspiracy theory.
- UKIP bigwigs began a campaign to rid themselves of their only MP. Who they’ve known was a Tory mole for ages, but who has now allegedly stopped Farage from getting a knighthood.
Knight night. 😎
— Douglas Carswell (@DouglasCarswell) February 27, 2017
As a result of all this, UKIP has changed its Facebook status from ‘in politics’ to ‘it’s complicated’.
Hey, wat up?
The move by UKIP was of course a surprise to the millions of voters who were ‘in a relationship’ with it. Voters who are now experiencing what all recently unattached people experience. Namely a tirade of unsolicited messages from leery social media creepers.
One such UKIP supporter reported getting messages from the British National Party (BNP):
Hey, baby. What’s up? I hear you split up with UKIP. You looking to get together with a real party?
GET WITH ME, OR ELSE! I AM SO SERIOUS I HAVE TURNED MY CAPS LOCK ON AND MY SPELL-CHUCKER OF!!!!!
The English Defence League (EDL):
Wanna see a d*ck pic?
The UKIP supporter told us that they said yes to this, and were rewarded with several shots of former EDL leader Tommy Robinson. Not of his penis, mind. Just of Robinson himself.
Although supporters are on the rebound now, that doesn’t mean they won’t eventually just make up with UKIP. And even if they don’t, it looks like most of them are looking to hook up with the Tories next anyway. Which doesn’t speak much for taste but, then again, the British electorate has thoroughly played the field at this point. And the result has been that no party has ever really left them satisfied.
Not even the one with the massive Balls.
We need your help to keep speaking the truth
Every story that you have come to us with; each injustice you have asked us to investigate; every campaign we have fought; each of your unheard voices we amplified; we do this for you. We are making a difference on your behalf.
Our fight is your fight. You’ve supported our collective struggle every time you gave us a like; and every time you shared our work across social media. Now we need you to support us with a monthly donation.
We have published nearly 2,000 articles and over 50 films in 2021. And we want to do this and more in 2022 but we don’t have enough money to go on at this pace. So, if you value our work and want us to continue then please join us and be part of The Canary family.
In return, you get:
* Advert free reading experience
* Quarterly group video call with the Editor-in-Chief
* Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
* 20% discount in our shop
Almost all of our spending goes to the people who make The Canary’s content. So your contribution directly supports our writers and enables us to continue to do what we do: speaking truth, powered by you. We have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence our vital opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right-wing mainstream media.
With your help we can continue:
* Holding political and state power to account
* Advocating for the people the system marginalises
* Being a media outlet that upholds the highest standards
* Campaigning on the issues others won’t
* Putting your lives central to everything we do
We are a drop of truth in an ocean of deceit. But we can’t do this without your support. So please, can you help us continue the fight?