When Scotland called for another independence referendum, people pondered how the PM would protest. Especially as most of her arguments for Brexit are also arguments for Scottish independence.
The answer wasn’t long in forthcoming, however, as it’s already been revealed that May simply plans on using pre-written Brexit speeches and just reversing the context.
An analysis of the PM’s words found the following changes from her BREXIT to INDEPENDENCE speeches:
- We can – You can’t.
- Global Britain – Parochial Scotland.
- Better apart – Better together.
- Will of the people – Tunnel vision.
- Global trading possibilities – You can’t eat a flag.
- Jockistan – Valued member of the Union.
- Brexit means Brexit – Brexit means exit but that’s not an excuse for Scexit.
- EU citizens as bargaining chips – Politics is not a game.
- Boris Johnson as Foreign Secretary – Politics is not a game.
- We didn’t make a contingency plan for what would happen if we actually voted to leave – Politics is not a game.
- No deal is better than a bad deal – We’ll promise anything if you stay. And maybe we’ll even deliver this time!
The other problem for May is that she’ll have to publicly convince people of her argument. And she hates doing that, because she’s terrible at it.
There’ll be no getting away with turning up in Scotland and shouting at people:
No means no.
There’ll be no tolerance for repeatedly refusing to answer why Scotland should even stay.
And there’ll certainly be no getting away with the Team Fear nonsense they got away with last time.
Unless, of course, they threaten to make Katie Hopkins England’s permanent ambassador to Scotland.
Now that really would be something to fear. Or at least be somewhat irritated by. And potentially not even that if they get good at ignoring her.
So yeah – I guess the Tories have no play here at all.
Featured image via Wikimedia
We need your help to keep speaking the truth
Every story that you have come to us with; each injustice you have asked us to investigate; every campaign we have fought; each of your unheard voices we amplified; we do this for you. We are making a difference on your behalf.
Our fight is your fight. You’ve supported our collective struggle every time you gave us a like; and every time you shared our work across social media. Now we need you to support us with a monthly donation.
We have published nearly 2,000 articles and over 50 films in 2021. And we want to do this and more in 2022 but we don’t have enough money to go on at this pace. So, if you value our work and want us to continue then please join us and be part of The Canary family.
In return, you get:
* Advert free reading experience
* Quarterly group video call with the Editor-in-Chief
* Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
* 20% discount in our shop
Almost all of our spending goes to the people who make The Canary’s content. So your contribution directly supports our writers and enables us to continue to do what we do: speaking truth, powered by you. We have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence our vital opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right-wing mainstream media.
With your help we can continue:
* Holding political and state power to account
* Advocating for the people the system marginalises
* Being a media outlet that upholds the highest standards
* Campaigning on the issues others won’t
* Putting your lives central to everything we do
We are a drop of truth in an ocean of deceit. But we can’t do this without your support. So please, can you help us continue the fight?