The reasons for going ahead with Brexit are vanishing faster than Nigel Farage’s post-referendum moustache. And as such, the dedicated people who thought they were voting for a better NHS, reduced immigration, and having our cake and eating it are having to reframe the issue in their minds. They’re having to take something they thought was a rational choice and turn it into something they believe in.
Just like you might believe in Jesus Christ, the Mighty Ducks, or a half-baked soufflé. Although obviously only one of those three has ever actually delivered.
The benefits of Brexit becoming a religion are obvious. For a start, the Brexians will be able to have people trialled for blasphemy. And several of them are already floating possible punishments:
- Quoting blasphemous (i.e. accurate) statistics = BANISHMENT.
- Depicting the prophet Nigel Farage in a negative light = STONING.
- Judges ruling that parliament must have sovereignty when it comes to the return of the parliamentary sovereignty that we technically already had anyway = CRUCIFIXION.
There’s also the issue of religions being given tax exemption status. Leading many to speculate that this whole thing may be a scam on top of a scam. Especially as the prominent Brexiteer and Wetherspoons founder has offered his pubs as churches of Brexit.
Although some say Wetherspoons pubs were already fulfilling that role anyway.
Not to be outdone, several prominent Remainers have set up their own church. Their ‘logic’ is that the referendum was lost because of the ‘weak faith’ of many Remainers. Primarily because people who voted Remain did so grudgingly, and also:
- Refused to accept that the EU is an all-loving super entity with only our best interests at heart.
- Refused to see the whole Greece fiasco as being part of the EU’s mysterious yet benevolent plan.
- And refused to let neoliberalism into their hearts, and worship the holy trinity of corporatism, banksterism, and austerity.
To banish this sinful weakness, Pope Alistair Campbell is making his Church of Latter Day Remainists march through London while self-flagellating themselves with copies of The New European.
There are also those who are agnostic about the whole affair. People who dislike the EU but think that leaving right now will see us becoming (more of) an ultra-right-wing sh*thole. And also people who think that, although Brexit may be bad in the short term, it could ultimately lead to a fairer future.
And to those people, we say WE WILL FIND YOU, AND WE WILL MAKE YOU SUFFER FOR YOUR LACK OF FAITH!
We need your help to keep speaking the truth
Every story that you have come to us with; each injustice you have asked us to investigate; every campaign we have fought; each of your unheard voices we amplified; we do this for you. We are making a difference on your behalf.
Our fight is your fight. You’ve supported our collective struggle every time you gave us a like; and every time you shared our work across social media. Now we need you to support us with a monthly donation.
We have published nearly 2,000 articles and over 50 films in 2021. And we want to do this and more in 2022 but we don’t have enough money to go on at this pace. So, if you value our work and want us to continue then please join us and be part of The Canary family.
In return, you get:
* Advert free reading experience
* Quarterly group video call with the Editor-in-Chief
* Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
* 20% discount in our shop
Almost all of our spending goes to the people who make The Canary’s content. So your contribution directly supports our writers and enables us to continue to do what we do: speaking truth, powered by you. We have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence our vital opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right-wing mainstream media.
With your help we can continue:
* Holding political and state power to account
* Advocating for the people the system marginalises
* Being a media outlet that upholds the highest standards
* Campaigning on the issues others won’t
* Putting your lives central to everything we do
We are a drop of truth in an ocean of deceit. But we can’t do this without your support. So please, can you help us continue the fight?