Having realised that she has nothing else to offer, Theresa May has been going after the Guinness World Record for most U-turns by a sitting Prime Minister. Which is why yesterday, in an epic display of flip-floppery, she performed not one but two U-turns. A manoeuvre which was described on The Thick of It as an O-Turn:
In the course of 3 hours government has u-turned on public-sector pay cap and then u-turned on u-turn. So pay cap stays, confusingly
— Robert Peston (@Peston) June 28, 2017
The people at Guinness World Records had been watching the PM for some time. And they quickly arranged for an acceptance ceremony at midday on Thursday 29 June.
Weirdly though, the PM pulled out at the last minute. Despite her earlier assurances. Almost as if she’s physically unable to follow through on her own choices, like one end of a magnet repelling the other.
It later transpired that May – the UK’s first robotic Prime Minister – had her settings mixed up. The problem being that her STABILITY dial was set to CARRIER BAG IN THE WIND.
It was also discovered that several other characteristics were misaligned. This meant that:
- EMPATHY was set to FREDDY KRUEGER.
- CUNNING was set to POTATO.
- CREDIBILITY was set to MILLI VANILLI.
- HUMANITY was set to DALEK.
- STRENGTH was set to LOW-FAT YOGURT.
- FORESIGHT was set to GOLDFISH.
- STRAIGHTFORWARDNESS was set to SNAKE ON METH.
- SPEECH was set to STRONG AND SLOGAN.
- LIKEABILITY was set to UNEXPECTED SLUG IN LOAFER.
Thanks to good old British engineering, the May-bot is once more able to follow through on her decisions. Which is a shame actually, as her DECISION-MAKING dial is still set to TORY.
Featured image via Wikimedia
We need your help to keep speaking the truth
Every story that you have come to us with; each injustice you have asked us to investigate; every campaign we have fought; each of your unheard voices we amplified; we do this for you. We are making a difference on your behalf.
Our fight is your fight. You’ve supported our collective struggle every time you gave us a like; and every time you shared our work across social media. Now we need you to support us with a monthly donation.
We have published nearly 2,000 articles and over 50 films in 2021. And we want to do this and more in 2022 but we don’t have enough money to go on at this pace. So, if you value our work and want us to continue then please join us and be part of The Canary family.
In return, you get:
* Advert free reading experience
* Quarterly group video call with the Editor-in-Chief
* Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
* 20% discount in our shop
Almost all of our spending goes to the people who make The Canary’s content. So your contribution directly supports our writers and enables us to continue to do what we do: speaking truth, powered by you. We have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence our vital opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right-wing mainstream media.
With your help we can continue:
* Holding political and state power to account
* Advocating for the people the system marginalises
* Being a media outlet that upholds the highest standards
* Campaigning on the issues others won’t
* Putting your lives central to everything we do
We are a drop of truth in an ocean of deceit. But we can’t do this without your support. So please, can you help us continue the fight?