The government has announced that Brexit Secretary David Davis will be advised by a team of well-known cranks, including Mystic Meg and Derek Acorah. But Labour’s senior-most Brexit spokesperson, Paul the Octopus, has hit back – saying it shows Davis is “out of control”.
An agreement on the non-agreed disagreement
On Wednesday 6 December, Theresa May announced the appointments at a press conference outside Disneyland Paris. According to Charlatans Digest, the PM said:
We are at the point of progressing on to the next stage [of Brexit]. We so far have agreed agreements, non-agreed agreements, and agreements about non-agreed agreements. This is why I have agreed to bring on board some of the country’s foremost critical thinkers. David [Davis] is in agreement: to meet our agreements with the EU, we must agree to disagree and move forward in a strong and stable manner to reach an agreement. And this new team will be at the forefront of this. Agreed?
I see dead Tories
In draft agreements seen by Off The Perch, the so-called ‘A-Team’ (‘Agreements Team’) will include:
- Mystic Meg. The renowned lottery tomfoolerist and star sign con artist will be using a selection of brightly coloured balls spun in a hamster wheel to work out the impact of Brexit on GDP per capita; Base Erosion and Profit Shifting (BEPS) practices of FTSE 100 companies; and the pre-tax profits of SMEs.
- Russell Grant. The Z-Lister and premium rate astrology trickster has been brought on board for his well known array of dire jokes. It’s hoped Grant will “bore the fuckers in Brussels so much they won’t notice Davis blocking the free movement of people born anywhere north of Watford”.
- Derek Acorah. The famed bullshitter from Brain Bleach TV‘s top-rated show You Think You’re Fucking Haunted? will be channelling the spirits of dead Tory Eurosceptics. With the help of his trusty sidekick, the imaginary ‘Sam’, Acorah has been briefed to find “the most archaic and colonialist minds” from the Conservative Party’s past.
So far, Brussels has not commented. But a senior EU source told Off The Perch:
Your government is already made up of chancers, degenerates, liars, sexual deviants, and spivs. A few more fraudsters in the mix won’t make a blind bit of fucking difference.
The first meeting of the A-Team will be held in a chocolate teapot in Narnia. It’s unclear whether Davis will be able to find the wardrobe to attend or not.
We need your help to keep speaking the truth
Every story that you have come to us with; each injustice you have asked us to investigate; every campaign we have fought; each of your unheard voices we amplified; we do this for you. We are making a difference on your behalf.
Our fight is your fight. You’ve supported our collective struggle every time you gave us a like; and every time you shared our work across social media. Now we need you to support us with a monthly donation.
We have published nearly 2,000 articles and over 50 films in 2021. And we want to do this and more in 2022 but we don’t have enough money to go on at this pace. So, if you value our work and want us to continue then please join us and be part of The Canary family.
In return, you get:
* Advert free reading experience
* Quarterly group video call with the Editor-in-Chief
* Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
* 20% discount in our shop
Almost all of our spending goes to the people who make The Canary’s content. So your contribution directly supports our writers and enables us to continue to do what we do: speaking truth, powered by you. We have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence our vital opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right-wing mainstream media.
With your help we can continue:
* Holding political and state power to account
* Advocating for the people the system marginalises
* Being a media outlet that upholds the highest standards
* Campaigning on the issues others won’t
* Putting your lives central to everything we do
We are a drop of truth in an ocean of deceit. But we can’t do this without your support. So please, can you help us continue the fight?