American gun-obsessives have claimed that the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.
As such, the only logical argument is to make sure everyone is armed and hope the good guys outnumber the bad. Analysts predict this tactic will lead to every single American citizen becoming embroiled in a Mexican standoff by 2050.
Out of hand
Trump and the National Rifle Association (NRA) are currently advising that teachers arm themselves to stop high school shooters. Of course, this will inevitably lead to a teacher losing their cool and shooting a pupil. And as a result, the children will need to be armed to protect themselves from the teachers.
This chain of events will degrade to a point at which everyone needs to be armed – a situation which will be one disagreement away from a mass Mexican standoff.
The NRA has disputed this claim whilst privately planning for it. According to one leaked report, the NRA is instructing the US senators it owns to:
- Change the name of ‘Mexican standoffs’ to ‘freedom standoffs’ to increase their appeal.
- Teach citizens how to perform basic actions with their feet so that they’re able to carry on working despite holding multiple guns.
- Insinuate that getting shot is a proud American tradition in the vein of great men like Abraham Lincoln, JFK, and Martin Luther King Jr.
If there’s one group that couldn’t be happier, it’s the people who sell guns.
100% ownership may not be enough to satiate their appetite for gun sales though, which is why they’re working on guns that fire tiny guns instead of bullets.
But will that be enough to prevent gun violence?
Only time will tell.
Featured image via Wikimedia – Martin Soulstealer (image was altered)
We need your help to keep speaking the truth
Every story that you have come to us with; each injustice you have asked us to investigate; every campaign we have fought; each of your unheard voices we amplified; we do this for you. We are making a difference on your behalf.
Our fight is your fight. You’ve supported our collective struggle every time you gave us a like; and every time you shared our work across social media. Now we need you to support us with a monthly donation.
We have published nearly 2,000 articles and over 50 films in 2021. And we want to do this and more in 2022 but we don’t have enough money to go on at this pace. So, if you value our work and want us to continue then please join us and be part of The Canary family.
In return, you get:
* Advert free reading experience
* Quarterly group video call with the Editor-in-Chief
* Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
* 20% discount in our shop
Almost all of our spending goes to the people who make The Canary’s content. So your contribution directly supports our writers and enables us to continue to do what we do: speaking truth, powered by you. We have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence our vital opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right-wing mainstream media.
With your help we can continue:
* Holding political and state power to account
* Advocating for the people the system marginalises
* Being a media outlet that upholds the highest standards
* Campaigning on the issues others won’t
* Putting your lives central to everything we do
We are a drop of truth in an ocean of deceit. But we can’t do this without your support. So please, can you help us continue the fight?