No one can say the Tories haven’t occasionally promised to tackle Islamophobia. No one can say they’ve actually followed through on it, either – but still – the thought is there.
Do as they sort of say – not as they definitely do
The Tories have a problem when it comes to Islamophobia. On the one hand, they want to:
- Bomb Muslim people.
- Sell weapons to other people who bomb Muslim people.
- Maintain an imbalanced neoliberal system that’s particularly imbalanced towards BAME people.
- Be friends with the sort of people who are openly Islamophobic.
- Run Islamophobic political campaigns.
- Say Islamophobic things and claim it was a ‘joke’ if people get pissed off.
- Possibly at some point trademark the word ‘Islamophobia’.
On the other hand, they also don’t want people to think they’re Islamophobic. You know – in case it loses them votes.
To try and maintain this fine balance, Theresa May said:
Let me be clear, no one is more committed towards saying they’re committed towards saying there might be a problem than me. I have no idea why someone would think Muslims aren’t welcome in predominantly white countries. Please take my word for that, and do not Google my history as home secretary.
Islamophobia is clearly a global issue. The PM could investigate how it’s spread by corporate media – could even investigate how it’s spread by her own government. Or she could tweet more empty platitudes and carry on as normal.
As May seems completely incapable of questioning her own actions, it’s easy to imagine which approach will win out.
Featured image via Kuhlmann MSC – Wikimedia
Do your bit for independent journalism
Did you know that less than 1.5% of our readers contribute financially to The Canary? Imagine what we could do if just a few more people joined our movement to achieve a shared vision of a free and fair society where we nurture people and planet.
We need you to help out, if you can.
When you give a monthly amount to fund our work, you are supporting truly independent journalism. We hold power to account and have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence the counterpoint to the mainstream.
You can count on us for rigorous journalism and fearless opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right wing mainstream media.
In return you get:
- Advert free reading experience
- Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
- 20% discount from our shop