No one can say the Tories haven’t occasionally promised to tackle Islamophobia. No one can say they’ve actually followed through on it, either – but still – the thought is there.
Do as they sort of say – not as they definitely do
The Tories have a problem when it comes to Islamophobia. On the one hand, they want to:
- Bomb Muslim people.
- Sell weapons to other people who bomb Muslim people.
- Maintain an imbalanced neoliberal system that’s particularly imbalanced towards BAME people.
- Be friends with the sort of people who are openly Islamophobic.
- Run Islamophobic political campaigns.
- Say Islamophobic things and claim it was a ‘joke’ if people get pissed off.
- Possibly at some point trademark the word ‘Islamophobia’.
On the other hand, they also don’t want people to think they’re Islamophobic. You know – in case it loses them votes.
To try and maintain this fine balance, Theresa May said:
Let me be clear, no one is more committed towards saying they’re committed towards saying there might be a problem than me. I have no idea why someone would think Muslims aren’t welcome in predominantly white countries. Please take my word for that, and do not Google my history as home secretary.
Islamophobia is clearly a global issue. The PM could investigate how it’s spread by corporate media – could even investigate how it’s spread by her own government. Or she could tweet more empty platitudes and carry on as normal.
As May seems completely incapable of questioning her own actions, it’s easy to imagine which approach will win out.
Featured image via Kuhlmann MSC – Wikimedia
We need your help to keep speaking the truth
Every story that you have come to us with; each injustice you have asked us to investigate; every campaign we have fought; each of your unheard voices we amplified; we do this for you. We are making a difference on your behalf.
Our fight is your fight. You’ve supported our collective struggle every time you gave us a like; and every time you shared our work across social media. Now we need you to support us with a monthly donation.
We have published nearly 2,000 articles and over 50 films in 2021. And we want to do this and more in 2022 but we don’t have enough money to go on at this pace. So, if you value our work and want us to continue then please join us and be part of The Canary family.
In return, you get:
* Advert free reading experience
* Quarterly group video call with the Editor-in-Chief
* Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
* 20% discount in our shop
Almost all of our spending goes to the people who make The Canary’s content. So your contribution directly supports our writers and enables us to continue to do what we do: speaking truth, powered by you. We have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence our vital opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right-wing mainstream media.
With your help we can continue:
* Holding political and state power to account
* Advocating for the people the system marginalises
* Being a media outlet that upholds the highest standards
* Campaigning on the issues others won’t
* Putting your lives central to everything we do
We are a drop of truth in an ocean of deceit. But we can’t do this without your support. So please, can you help us continue the fight?