Become a Monthly Supporter
You can cancel your recurring PayPal donation at any time.
Why Support Us?
We are bringing diversity to the media. The UK media is largely controlled by 6 organisations who determine much of what we read, watch and hear creating a deeply skewed reporting of the world. The Canary has been established to provide an alternative to the staid message by supporting fair and fearless journalism which is always free at the point of access.
It does this by introducing a disruptive profit-sharing business model enabling content creators to receive the profits they so richly deserve for creating quality, diverse and engaging media. Our goal is to use this model to build a viable alternative to mainstream media, without fat-cats but creators enabled to develop challenging, long form and investigative content from a position of financial stability.
To do this we need your support.
Our Business Model
The Canary has an innovative business model. As an organisation we generate revenue through advertising and readers who feel that our journalism is valuable enough to support through monthly donations. So far so normal, where we are disruptive however is how we spend our revenue.
Here at The Canary we believe in democracy and in rewarding the work of content creators who are ultimately the reason you, the reader, are able to enjoy fresh and fearless journalism for free. As such this is what we do with the money we generate:
- First, we pay tax. We are based in the UK and are happy to contribute our share to develop a wonderful country, not without its problems of course.
- Then we pay costs which we keep below 5% of our gross revenue.
- What is left is our net profit. We split this simply:
- 50% to our writers
- 10% to our section editors
- 20% to our leadership team
- 20% goes back into the company for marketing and new projects
Each writer and editor is paid in two ways. Firstly, each article receives a flat rate equal payment from our monthly income from supporters. So with each new supporter the pay per article goes up every month. Secondly, each article receives a top-up payment based directly on the percentage of web traffic, and therefore advertising income, that articles generate during a given calendar month. It’s as simple as that.
This was the result of a unanimous vote we gave our writers on their pay model. We actively encourage all of our writers to join and be active in the National Union of Journalists.
How To Support Us?
- Much of our growth comes from word of mouth and social sharing. By spreading the word about The Canary, by liking, commenting and engaging in the community you help make us sustainable.
- The ultimate support you can give is to become a supporter. By providing us a small contribution each month you reduce our reliance on traditional advertising and directly help support disruptive journalism. To make a difference, support our journalists by clicking the support button above.