Majority of patients have ‘long Covid’ symptoms seven weeks after discharge

Support us and go ad-free

More than two-thirds of patients hospitalised due to coronavirus (Covid-19) continue to suffer from debilitating symptoms more than seven weeks after being discharged, a new study suggests.

Researchers found that 54 days after discharge, 69% of patients were still experiencing fatigue. And 53% were suffering from persistent breathlessness.

They also found that 34% still had a cough and 15% reported depression.

In addition, 38% of chest radiographs (X-rays) remained abnormal. And 9% were getting worse, according to the study. It was carried out in collaboration with clinicians at the Royal Free London (RFL) and University College London Hospitals NHS Trust (UCLH).

A real phenomenon

Dr Swapna Mandal, an honorary clinical associate professor at UCL division of medicine, said the data shows so-called “long Covid” is a real phenomenon. She added that further research is needed to understand how the symptoms can be treated in the long-term.

She said:

Read on...

Support us and go ad-free

Patients whose Covid-19 illness is serious enough for them to require hospital care often continue to suffer significant symptoms for many weeks after their discharge.

Professor John Hurst, at UCL division of medicine, said:

Understanding ‘long Covid’ is critical in helping people who have been through this life-changing experience return to health, while rapid roll-out of this follow-up service shows how our clinical teams worked together to deliver an innovative service during a period of unprecedented demand on our staff.

Findings

In the study, published in the medical journal Thorax, clinical teams set up a post-coronavirus follow up clinic. This was to review both the psychological and physiological symptoms of discharged patients.

In total, they observed 384 patients who had tested positive. Patients had been treated at Barnet Hospital, the Royal Free Hospital or UCLH.

Collectively, the average length of stay in hospital was 6.5 days.

All of the patients were spoken to by a member of the clinical team on average 54 days after they’d left hospital.

Some further face-to-face clinical appointments were required for patients needing rehabilitation and/or further investigation.

The research suggests that for those patients whose chest X-ray was still showing signs of infection on being discharged, 62% had a normal x-ray when it was repeated. While the remainder (38%) were still showing changes.

Almost one in ten (9%) of these patients had an X-ray which was worse than when they were discharged.

Limitations

The scientists note a number of limitations to their study. These included that the study only had patients who tested positive for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19. And patients requiring prolonged ICU and in-patient stay may be under-represented in the analysis.

They add that not all participants were willing to take part in the review or attend for investigations, which potentially introduced selection bias.

The researchers can’t determine if these features are unique to coronavirus. They may simply be similar to those following admission for other critical respiratory illnesses.

Support us and go ad-free

Do your bit for independent journalism

Did you know that less than 1.5% of our readers contribute financially to The Canary? Imagine what we could do if just a few more people joined our movement to achieve a shared vision of a free and fair society where we nurture people and planet.

We need you to help out, if you can.

When you give a monthly amount to fund our work, you are supporting truly independent journalism. We hold power to account and have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence the counterpoint to the mainstream.

You can count on us for rigorous journalism and fearless opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right wing mainstream media.

In return you get:

  • Advert free reading experience
  • Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
  • 20% discount from our shop

 

The Canary Fund us
  • Show Comments
    1. This article is outrageous. No wonder none of you will take personal responsibility. It is a complete misrepresentation and fits snuggly into the wider M$M format of misinformation. The Canary’s ‘left’ self-identification appears not to require any degree of analysis. Being ‘left’ is not a fashion statement it is a claim to rigourous analysis of reality – a social reality that has been forged in the minds, first of peasants and then landless factory and mine workers, over hundreds of years from its aristocratic illusions of superiority fanned by the Church to the entrepreneur fantasies fanned by economists. This isn’t playtime. Didn’t 2019 provide enough reason to wake up?

    Leave a Reply

    Join the conversation

    Please read our comment moderation policy here.