As clever journalists have pointed out, choosing the questions for a second referendum would be difficult.
What should the question be in a second EU referendum?
This sounds like it should be a simple question, but it’s actually not: every option I can think of has some pretty significant problems.
— Jon Stone (@joncstone) December 14, 2018
Everyone knows what questions they’d pick – namely the ones which would tip things in their favour. But what options are actually on the table?
The options as we see them are:
- Leave but with no explanation of how so that everyone can claim to represent the true voice of leaving.
- Remain but be a real dick about it – instructing the PM to sulk and huff at EU summits – just like usual.
- Put a pin in it for 12 months and have another referendum then.
- Finland ribbed.
- Just stop answering the phone when the EU calls.
- British Empire on figurative steroids.
- British Empire on literal steroids.
- Pretend we never voted to leave in the first place and just turn up in Brussels, like nothing happened.
- Start our own EU and call it the ‘Cool Guys European Union Super Club’.
- We remain but all the other countries leave.
- Join the Soviet Union.
- Find a better island and all go and live on that.
- Leave but we rig our politicians up to a bomb that will go off if our quality of life doesn’t maintain a consistent level of alrightness.
- Leave but everyone wears a beret and we pretend that we’re France to annoy the French.
- Remain, no backsies.
- We’ll do whatever you say if you just please stop making us fucking vote for things. Every time we do it only makes things worse!
Regardless of how we vote, we probably will have another referendum. Because, you know what, fuck it – why not? Let’s stop pretending we need a reason and just admit this is who we are now – a nation of vote junkies.
Featured image via pixabay (IMAGE WAS ALTERED)
Do your bit for independent journalism
Did you know that less than 1.5% of our readers contribute financially to The Canary? Imagine what we could do if just a few more people joined our movement to achieve a shared vision of a free and fair society where we nurture people and planet.
We need you to help out, if you can.
When you give a monthly amount to fund our work, you are supporting truly independent journalism. We hold power to account and have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence the counterpoint to the mainstream.
You can count on us for rigorous journalism and fearless opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right wing mainstream media.
In return you get:
- Advert free reading experience
- Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
- 20% discount from our shop