As clever journalists have pointed out, choosing the questions for a second referendum would be difficult.
What should the question be in a second EU referendum?
This sounds like it should be a simple question, but it’s actually not: every option I can think of has some pretty significant problems.
— Jon Stone (@joncstone) December 14, 2018
Everyone knows what questions they’d pick – namely the ones which would tip things in their favour. But what options are actually on the table?
The options as we see them are:
- Leave but with no explanation of how so that everyone can claim to represent the true voice of leaving.
- Remain but be a real dick about it – instructing the PM to sulk and huff at EU summits – just like usual.
- Put a pin in it for 12 months and have another referendum then.
- Finland ribbed.
- Just stop answering the phone when the EU calls.
- British Empire on figurative steroids.
- British Empire on literal steroids.
- Pretend we never voted to leave in the first place and just turn up in Brussels, like nothing happened.
- Start our own EU and call it the ‘Cool Guys European Union Super Club’.
- We remain but all the other countries leave.
- Join the Soviet Union.
- Find a better island and all go and live on that.
- Leave but we rig our politicians up to a bomb that will go off if our quality of life doesn’t maintain a consistent level of alrightness.
- Leave but everyone wears a beret and we pretend that we’re France to annoy the French.
- Remain, no backsies.
- We’ll do whatever you say if you just please stop making us fucking vote for things. Every time we do it only makes things worse!
Regardless of how we vote, we probably will have another referendum. Because, you know what, fuck it – why not? Let’s stop pretending we need a reason and just admit this is who we are now – a nation of vote junkies.
Featured image via pixabay (IMAGE WAS ALTERED)
We need your help to keep speaking the truth
Every story that you have come to us with; each injustice you have asked us to investigate; every campaign we have fought; each of your unheard voices we amplified; we do this for you. We are making a difference on your behalf.
Our fight is your fight. You’ve supported our collective struggle every time you gave us a like; and every time you shared our work across social media. Now we need you to support us with a monthly donation.
We have published nearly 2,000 articles and over 50 films in 2021. And we want to do this and more in 2022 but we don’t have enough money to go on at this pace. So, if you value our work and want us to continue then please join us and be part of The Canary family.
In return, you get:
* Advert free reading experience
* Quarterly group video call with the Editor-in-Chief
* Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
* 20% discount in our shop
Almost all of our spending goes to the people who make The Canary’s content. So your contribution directly supports our writers and enables us to continue to do what we do: speaking truth, powered by you. We have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence our vital opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right-wing mainstream media.
With your help we can continue:
* Holding political and state power to account
* Advocating for the people the system marginalises
* Being a media outlet that upholds the highest standards
* Campaigning on the issues others won’t
* Putting your lives central to everything we do
We are a drop of truth in an ocean of deceit. But we can’t do this without your support. So please, can you help us continue the fight?