Jeremy Hunt began this leadership race a loser and he’ll end it a loser. He doesn’t seem to get that, though. This is why he’s making a series of increasingly unhinged promises to the Tory membership.
Over the past 24 hours, Hunt has promised to:
- Send our troops back to the Falklands/Normandy/the Crusades.
- Give tax rebates to tax dodgers.
- Construct a statue of Margaret Thatcher in every supermarket car park.
- Replace the NHS with a giant whipping machine that’s treadmill-powered by the ‘plebs’ it whips.
- Start a bidding war for Scotland between Cuba and North Korea.
- Use science to bring back extinct animals so that rich twats can hunt them back to extinction.
- Use science to bring back Alf Garnett and record 1,000 more episodes, but this time without the satire.
- Enact something called ‘MEGA BREXIT’.
So far, none of these promises has won him any favour.
It would be easy to feel sorry for Hunt. Oh no – wait – it wouldn’t, would it? Because this is the guy who spent the best years of his life gleefully trashing the NHS.
Although it’s a travesty that we’re going to end up with PM Johnson, it has at least been fun watching his rivals get their dreams crushed.
Do your bit for independent journalism
Did you know that less than 1.5% of our readers contribute financially to The Canary? Imagine what we could do if just a few more people joined our movement to achieve a shared vision of a free and fair society where we nurture people and planet.
We need you to help out, if you can.
When you give a monthly amount to fund our work, you are supporting truly independent journalism. We hold power to account and have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence the counterpoint to the mainstream.
You can count on us for rigorous journalism and fearless opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right wing mainstream media.
In return you get:
- Advert free reading experience
- Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
- 20% discount from our shop