Jeremy Hunt began this leadership race a loser and he’ll end it a loser. He doesn’t seem to get that, though. This is why he’s making a series of increasingly unhinged promises to the Tory membership.
Over the past 24 hours, Hunt has promised to:
- Send our troops back to the Falklands/Normandy/the Crusades.
- Give tax rebates to tax dodgers.
- Construct a statue of Margaret Thatcher in every supermarket car park.
- Replace the NHS with a giant whipping machine that’s treadmill-powered by the ‘plebs’ it whips.
- Start a bidding war for Scotland between Cuba and North Korea.
- Use science to bring back extinct animals so that rich twats can hunt them back to extinction.
- Use science to bring back Alf Garnett and record 1,000 more episodes, but this time without the satire.
- Enact something called ‘MEGA BREXIT’.
So far, none of these promises has won him any favour.
It would be easy to feel sorry for Hunt. Oh no – wait – it wouldn’t, would it? Because this is the guy who spent the best years of his life gleefully trashing the NHS.
Although it’s a travesty that we’re going to end up with PM Johnson, it has at least been fun watching his rivals get their dreams crushed.
We need your help ...
The coronavirus pandemic is changing our world, fast. And we will do all we can to keep bringing you news and analysis throughout. But we are worried about maintaining enough income to pay our staff and minimal overheads.
Now, more than ever, we need a vibrant, independent media that holds the government to account and calls it out when it puts vested economic interests above human lives. We need a media that shows solidarity with the people most affected by the crisis – and one that can help to build a world based on collaboration and compassion.
We have been fighting against an establishment that is trying to shut us down. And like most independent media, we don’t have the deep pockets of investors to call on to bail us out.
Can you help by chipping in a few pounds each month?