A judge has found Stephen Yaxley-Lennon (AKA Tommy Robinson) guilty of contempt of court. This is despite him assuring the judge that he was “one of the best patriots going”.
Robinson offered a number of unique defences. He claimed his ‘patriotism’ should make him immune to any crime. Examples of his patriotism included the fact that he:
- Owns the complete DVD collection of Only Fools and Horses and has started making his way through the extras.
- Always wears a Union Jack thong.
- Sings “it’s coming home” every time the England squad gets so much as a throw-in.
- Trashes the European bistro he’s in every time the team playing the England squad gets so much as a throw-in.
- Sings the national anthem to conclude a long night of cocaine abuse.
- Only ‘cracks off’ to vintage pics of Page 3 girl Sam Fox.
- Is cynically using the crimes committed by Muslims to wage a culture war against all non-white people in the interest of achieving racial purity.
The judge described Yaxley-Lennon’s vision of ‘patriotism’ as:
Tawdry, depressing, pig-headed, criminal, and racist.
Yeah, that’s what I’m saying, so how come you won’t let me off?
Featured image via YouTube
We need your help to keep speaking the truth
Every story that you have come to us with; each injustice you have asked us to investigate; every campaign we have fought; each of your unheard voices we amplified; we do this for you. We are making a difference on your behalf.
Our fight is your fight. You’ve supported our collective struggle every time you gave us a like; and every time you shared our work across social media. Now we need you to support us with a monthly donation.
We have published nearly 2,000 articles and over 50 films in 2021. And we want to do this and more in 2022 but we don’t have enough money to go on at this pace. So, if you value our work and want us to continue then please join us and be part of The Canary family.
In return, you get:
* Advert free reading experience
* Quarterly group video call with the Editor-in-Chief
* Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
* 20% discount in our shop
Almost all of our spending goes to the people who make The Canary’s content. So your contribution directly supports our writers and enables us to continue to do what we do: speaking truth, powered by you. We have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence our vital opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right-wing mainstream media.
With your help we can continue:
* Holding political and state power to account
* Advocating for the people the system marginalises
* Being a media outlet that upholds the highest standards
* Campaigning on the issues others won’t
* Putting your lives central to everything we do
We are a drop of truth in an ocean of deceit. But we can’t do this without your support. So please, can you help us continue the fight?