Although the race to become Tory leader/PM is officially running right now, it really isn’t. It actually began when Theresa May became PM, and it ended when she resigned. The winner – unfortunately – is Boris Johnson. And whether they know it or not, his rivals are competing for distant second place.
Our next prime minister will be chosen by Tory Party members.
When 500,000 Labour members elected Jeremy Corbyn, the entire media-political class called it an anti-democratic Trotskyist putsch.
So what about this…? https://t.co/Rkh0ELd920
— Kerry-Anne Mendoza (@TheMendozaWoman) June 17, 2019
Johnson won the leadership by displaying all the characteristics that appeal to Tories, namely:
- Being prone to racist ‘gaffes’.
- Being prone to racist racism.
- Making alternatively vague, undeliverable, and dreadful Brexit proposals.
- Arsing up everything he touches.
- ‘Talking tough’ with foreign countries (unless they’re the US, in which case he turns into a lap-poodle).
- Tax cuts for the rich.
- Misery for everyone else.
To catch up to Johnson, his rivals would have needed to read out a Jim Davidson edited version of Enoch Powell’s ‘Rivers of Blood’ speech while burning £50 notes in front of a homeless economics expert. Instead, the fools talked about how they’d ‘fix’ the country – a problematic move because:
- They’re the idiots who broke it.
- The people voting think Britain isn’t broken enough.
To be fair, Jeremy Hunt has wised up to the grim dystopian vision that Tory members want. That’s why he’s vowing to euthanise people’s nans.
— Jeremy Hunt (@Jeremy_Hunt) June 16, 2019
Featured image via YouTube – Guardian News
Do your bit for independent journalism
Did you know that less than 1.5% of our readers contribute financially to The Canary? Imagine what we could do if just a few more people joined our movement to achieve a shared vision of a free and fair society where we nurture people and planet.
We need you to help out, if you can.
When you give a monthly amount to fund our work, you are supporting truly independent journalism. We hold power to account and have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence the counterpoint to the mainstream.
You can count on us for rigorous journalism and fearless opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right wing mainstream media.
In return you get:
- Advert free reading experience
- Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
- 20% discount from our shop