Inquiry launched into claims money for Prince’s Foundation went to other charity

Support us and go ad-free

The Charity Commission has launched an inquiry into allegations that donations intended for the Prince of Wales’ Prince’s Foundation went to another charity instead. It is the latest crisis to hit Charles’s charitable organisation following the alleged cash for honours claims.

The probe will examine dealings at the Mahfouz Foundation, which was founded by Saudi billionaire Mahfouz Marei Mubarak bin Mahfouz. Michael Fawcett, one of Charles’s closest confidantes and chief executive of the Prince’s Foundation, resigned last week after claims he allegedly promised to help secure a knighthood and British citizenship for donor to the prince’s charity Dr Bin Mahfouz.

Misdirected funds?

The commission said of the Mahfouz Foundation:

The commission has been engaging with its trustees since September after media reports alleged that donations, intended for the Prince’s Foundation, went instead to the Mahfouz Foundation.

Some of these funds were then subsequently transferred elsewhere.

The regulator has also identified concerns around the trustees’ governance and financial control of the charity, and the case has been escalated to a statutory inquiry. Its inquiry will examine whether certain donations received by the Mahfouz Foundation “were intended for the charity, have been used in accordance with the donors’ intentions and if they should be returned to the donor or otherwise applied for charitable purposes”.

It will also look at whether the trustees carried out their legal duties and responsibilities as trustees in line with charity law. The commission warned it may extend the scope of the inquiry if additional issues arise.

Read on...

Support us and go ad-free
Charles’ charity already under investigation

The Prince’s Foundation is not regulated by the commission, but is registered with the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator instead. Scotland’s charity regulator is already investigating Charles’ charity following claims in September it accepted a six-figure sum from a wealthy Russian donor Dmitry Leus.

Charles wrote a letter thanking the businessman for his generous offer of more than £500,000 to the Prince’s Foundation last year and suggested they could meet after the Covid crisis.

The charity initially received £100,000 but the total sum was reportedly rejected by the ethics committee of the foundation, whose headquarters are in Scotland, following concerns about its provenance, according to The Sunday Times. The regulator said it was investigating “the range of issues which have been raised”.

Doing each other favours

In a letter from 2017 published by the Mail on Sunday, Fawcett reportedly said he was willing to make an application to change Dr Bin Mahfouz’s honorary CBE to a KBE, and support his application for citizenship.

The letter, written on headed notepaper in Fawcett’s then capacity as the chief executive of the Dumfries House trust, said the applications would be made in response to “the most recent and anticipated support” of the trust.

The following year, Dumfries House became part of the Prince’s Foundation, during a reorganisation of Charles’s charities and Fawcett was appointed the chief executive.

Fawcett was Charles’s most indispensable aide, with the prince once declaring:

I can manage without just about anyone, except for Michael.

It fell to Fawcett to squeeze out the future king’s toothpaste when he broke his arm playing polo. He quit twice before including in 2003 when, as Charles’s personal assistant, he was accused of selling royal gifts.

He was cleared by an internal inquiry of any financial misconduct but the report painted a picture of Mr Fawcett as an alleged bully who enjoyed lavish perks and privileges, and accepted valuable gifts from outsiders.

Support us and go ad-free

We need your help to keep speaking the truth

Every story that you have come to us with; each injustice you have asked us to investigate; every campaign we have fought; each of your unheard voices we amplified; we do this for you. We are making a difference on your behalf.

Our fight is your fight. You’ve supported our collective struggle every time you gave us a like; and every time you shared our work across social media. Now we need you to support us with a monthly donation.

We have published nearly 2,000 articles and over 50 films in 2021. And we want to do this and more in 2022 but we don’t have enough money to go on at this pace. So, if you value our work and want us to continue then please join us and be part of The Canary family.

In return, you get:

* Advert free reading experience
* Quarterly group video call with the Editor-in-Chief
* Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
* 20% discount in our shop

Almost all of our spending goes to the people who make The Canary’s content. So your contribution directly supports our writers and enables us to continue to do what we do: speaking truth, powered by you. We have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence our vital opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right-wing mainstream media.

With your help we can continue:

* Holding political and state power to account
* Advocating for the people the system marginalises
* Being a media outlet that upholds the highest standards
* Campaigning on the issues others won’t
* Putting your lives central to everything we do

We are a drop of truth in an ocean of deceit. But we can’t do this without your support. So please, can you help us continue the fight?

The Canary Support us