The UN has called Israel’s actions “deplorable” after at least 16 people died and over were 1,000 injured in peaceful protests on the Gaza-Israel border. And it warned against the continued use of “excessive force” by the Israeli military.
We have deployed more than 100 sharpshooters who were called up from all of the military’s units, primarily from the special forces.
Eisenkot also stated that:
The orders are to use a lot of force.
Thousands of Palestinians are peacefully camped on the Israeli-Gaza border and intend to stay there until 15 May, the 70th anniversary of the Nakba (Arabic for “catastrophe”). Nakba acknowledges the displacement of Palestinians after the founding of the Israeli state.
The UN statement clearly says that Gaza is under “military occupation”. It warns against continued use of “excessive force” by Israel:
Read on...Support us and go ad-free
We remind Israel of its obligations to ensure that excessive force is not employed against protestors and that in the context of a military occupation, as is the case in Gaza, the unjustified and unlawful recourse to firearms by law enforcement resulting in death may amount to a wilful killing, a grave breach of the Fourth Geneva Convention.
On 31 March, the UN secretary general, António Guterres, called for an independent investigation into the deadly clashes. He also urged Israeli forces to use “extreme caution”. But a UN motion to condemn the violence was blocked by the US.
A week later, Israeli forces shot Yaser Murtaja, a journalist who was wearing a protective jacket labelled ‘press’. He later died of his injuries. Eight other people, including a child, were killed on the same day.
The UN is “gravely concerned”
On 6 April, Liz Throssell, a spokesperson for the UN high commissioner for human rights said in a statement:
Given the deplorable killing of 16 people and the injuring of reportedly more than 1,000 others during protests in Gaza… we are gravely concerned that further violence could occur during demonstrations today and in the coming weeks.
According to Human Rights Watch (HRW) nearly 2 million Palestinians, including 1.3 million refugees, live in Gaza. Israel has blamed Gaza’s Hamas government for the violence. It said the protesters were part of a “hostile infiltration”. But as The Canary previously reported:
The UN has been unequivocal in its condemnation of Israeli action:
Given the large number of injuries and deaths, the ominous statements made by Israeli authorities in the days leading up to the protest, as well as indications that the individuals killed or wounded were unarmed or did not pose a serious threat to well-protected security forces – and in some cases were actually running away from the fence – there are strong indications that security forces used excessive force.
#Gaza: We call for an independent & transparent investigation into the killings of 16 people during protests over the last week. Those responsible must be held accountable. See our full statement -> https://t.co/MRoOhgsgPg pic.twitter.com/bo0oSInyHz
— UN Human Rights (@UNHumanRights) April 6, 2018
Featured image via WikimediaSupport us and go ad-free
We know everyone is suffering under the Tories - but the Canary is a vital weapon in our fight back, and we need your support
The Canary Workers’ Co-op knows life is hard. The Tories are waging a class war against us we’re all having to fight. But like trade unions and community organising, truly independent working-class media is a vital weapon in our armoury.
The Canary doesn’t have the budget of the corporate media. In fact, our income is over 1,000 times less than the Guardian’s. What we do have is a radical agenda that disrupts power and amplifies marginalised communities. But we can only do this with our readers’ support.
So please, help us continue to spread messages of resistance and hope. Even the smallest donation would mean the world to us.