Beirut blast death toll rises to 178, with 30 still missing

Support us and go ad-free

The death toll from last week’s massive explosion in Lebanon’s capital has risen to nearly 180. An estimated 6,000 people were injured and at least 30 are missing, the United Nations (UN) said on Friday 14 August.

The explosion has affected operations at six hospitals, up from an initial three, and damaged more than 20 clinics in the parts of Beirut worst hit by the blast, the UN’s humanitarian affairs agency said in a report. The report said:

A preliminary rapid assessment within a 15-kilometre radius of the explosions has revealed that, out of 55 medical facilities, only half are fully operational and around 40% have suffered moderate to serious damage and need rehabilitation.

The explosion has changed the face of the capital and forced the government to resign.

Lebanon Explosion
Ships damaged in last week’s explosion in Beirut port (Hassan Ammar/AP)

Damage

Some 120 schools, used by 50,000 students, have been damaged. More than 1,000 of nearly 50,000 residential units were severely damaged, the UN said.

Read on...

Support us and go ad-free

At least 13 refugees, including at least two Palestinians, were among those killed. And more than 170,000 residents’ apartments were damaged, according to the report.

Despite damage to the silos in the city’s port, the UN Office for Co-ordination of Humanitarian Affairs said food shortages are not expected.

The blast struck Beirut in the midst of a crippling financial and economic crisis. The UN had predicted that people may have difficulties restoring or repairing their homes. But at least 55% of buildings assessed were rented, which may allow people to move elsewhere, the UN said.

According to the organisation, Beirut port is operating at 30% capacity, and Tripoli port, in the country’s north, at 70%, which is allowing food and goods to continue to flow.

Popular anger and political uncertainty

Lebanon’s Parliament on Thursday 13 August approved a state of emergency in Beirut. In its first session since the disaster, it granted the military sweeping powers amid rising popular anger and political uncertainty.

The World Food Programme is bringing in a three-month supply of flour and grains. The agency said, however, that it’s concerned about a surge in coronavirus cases. Particularly with social distancing relaxed during the widespread volunteering, to help those affected by the blast, and protests against the government and political elite.

Lebanon Investigating The Blast
Protesters hold up placards against Lebanese politicians (Hussein Malla/AP)

The government resigned on 10 August and the cabinet remains in a caretaker capacity. Protesters are demanding officials be held accountable for the blast.

Senior officials failed to act

The Lebanese probe got off to a shaky start, with political bickering over who would lead it, military threats to jail anyone responsible for leaks, and doubts about whether a panel appointed along sectarian lines could be fully impartial.

It’s still not known what caused the fire on 4 August which ignited nearly 3,000 tons of ammonium nitrate stored in Beirut’s port. But documents have emerged in the wake of the blast which show that the country’s top leadership and security officials were aware of the chemicals being stored there.

Sceptical Lebanese fear the government will go after lower level figures and not look into senior officials who did nothing about the huge stockpile of explosive chemicals stored at the port for years.

French forensic police have joined the investigation, and the FBI is also expected to take part.

Support us and go ad-free

Do your bit for independent journalism

Did you know that less than 1.5% of our readers contribute financially to The Canary? Imagine what we could do if just a few more people joined our movement to achieve a shared vision of a free and fair society where we nurture people and planet.

We need you to help out, if you can.

When you give a monthly amount to fund our work, you are supporting truly independent journalism. We hold power to account and have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence the counterpoint to the mainstream.

You can count on us for rigorous journalism and fearless opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right wing mainstream media.

In return you get:

  • Advert free reading experience
  • Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
  • 20% discount from our shop

 

The Canary Fund us