Part two of the Leveson Inquiry was set to look into unlawful and improper conduct by the British media and police forces. However, as the press has been doing such a bang-up job since Leveson part one, said investigation is no longer required.
Huzzah for the red-tops!
After the phone hacking scandal, faith in the press was at an all-time low.
Worried that print media could be nearing its end, the press did everything it could to restore faith. Largely by pushing award-winning stories like the following:
- JEREMY CORBYN BEATS CHELSEA PENSIONER TO DEATH WITH COMMUNIST MANIFESTO.
- KINDNESS CAUSES CANCER.
- LILY ALLEN LINKED TO KILLER SEAGULL.
- SINGLE MOTHER OF THREE BULLIES SLUMLORD.
- LOLLIPOP LADY WHO ‘ISN’T THAT KEEN’ ON BREXIT SHOULD BE HANGED.
- EVERYONE YOUNGER THAN 55 ‘THICK AS SHIT’.
- FUCK SCOTLAND (The Daily Mail)
- SCOTLAND GOOD (The Scottish Daily Mail).
- THERESA MAY A COMPETENT LEADER.
- EVERYONE WHO DISAGREES WITH US IS A CRYBABY SNOWFLAKE WHO CAN’T TAKE BEING DISAGREED WITH.
When you get right down to it, the real crime would be forcing the press to undergo scrutiny right now.
It’s busy, after all, exposing Czechoslovakian spies and going morally and financially bankrupt.
Featured image via Wikimedia – David Shankbone (image was altered)
We need your help ...
The coronavirus pandemic is changing our world, fast. And we will do all we can to keep bringing you news and analysis throughout. But we are worried about maintaining enough income to pay our staff and minimal overheads.
Now, more than ever, we need a vibrant, independent media that holds the government to account and calls it out when it puts vested economic interests above human lives. We need a media that shows solidarity with the people most affected by the crisis – and one that can help to build a world based on collaboration and compassion.
We have been fighting against an establishment that is trying to shut us down. And like most independent media, we don’t have the deep pockets of investors to call on to bail us out.
Can you help by chipping in a few pounds each month?