Rudd is out!
Javid is in!
But why such a fast turnaround?
A leaked application has shed light on the situation.
The job application – hastily scribbled on the back of a deportation memo – asked the following:
Can you start immediately?
- Do you have a passion for other people’s mistakes?
- Did you vote in favour of all the horror-bills which are now causing us so many problems?
- Does ‘bullet shield’ sound like a cool nickname you’d like to have?
- Are you unaware of the expression ‘the last days of Rome’?
- Will you agree not to join in with all the other ministers when they make me look like a twat? This would be nice, but I appreciate beggars can’t be choosers.
- Do you yearn to take bullets for others – crave it in fact – leaping at said bullets like a greedy Labrador chasing toffees?
- Do you have practical ideas for dealing with immigration? If so, this job isn’t for you.
- Are you happy to lie until such a point that your trousers catch fire? Are you happy to claim that said trousers aren’t ablaze even when they are?
- Do you have no shame? What am I saying – of course you don’t! You’re a Tory!
- Again – are you immediately available to start taking bullets for me? There are so many of them!
Lots of love,
Thankfully for May, there were hundreds of Tories who met this description. Unluckily for us, these people are all still in power.
– Join The Canary, so we can keep holding the powerful to account.
Featured image via Daniel Leal-Olivas of i-Images – Flickr
We need your help to keep speaking the truth
Every story that you have come to us with; each injustice you have asked us to investigate; every campaign we have fought; each of your unheard voices we amplified; we do this for you. We are making a difference on your behalf.
Our fight is your fight. You’ve supported our collective struggle every time you gave us a like; and every time you shared our work across social media. Now we need you to support us with a monthly donation.
We have published nearly 2,000 articles and over 50 films in 2021. And we want to do this and more in 2022 but we don’t have enough money to go on at this pace. So, if you value our work and want us to continue then please join us and be part of The Canary family.
In return, you get:
* Advert free reading experience
* Quarterly group video call with the Editor-in-Chief
* Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
* 20% discount in our shop
Almost all of our spending goes to the people who make The Canary’s content. So your contribution directly supports our writers and enables us to continue to do what we do: speaking truth, powered by you. We have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence our vital opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right-wing mainstream media.
With your help we can continue:
* Holding political and state power to account
* Advocating for the people the system marginalises
* Being a media outlet that upholds the highest standards
* Campaigning on the issues others won’t
* Putting your lives central to everything we do
We are a drop of truth in an ocean of deceit. But we can’t do this without your support. So please, can you help us continue the fight?