Rudd is out!
Javid is in!
But why such a fast turnaround?
A leaked application has shed light on the situation.
The job application – hastily scribbled on the back of a deportation memo – asked the following:
Can you start immediately?
- Do you have a passion for other people’s mistakes?
- Did you vote in favour of all the horror-bills which are now causing us so many problems?
- Does ‘bullet shield’ sound like a cool nickname you’d like to have?
- Are you unaware of the expression ‘the last days of Rome’?
- Will you agree not to join in with all the other ministers when they make me look like a twat? This would be nice, but I appreciate beggars can’t be choosers.
- Do you yearn to take bullets for others – crave it in fact – leaping at said bullets like a greedy Labrador chasing toffees?
- Do you have practical ideas for dealing with immigration? If so, this job isn’t for you.
- Are you happy to lie until such a point that your trousers catch fire? Are you happy to claim that said trousers aren’t ablaze even when they are?
- Do you have no shame? What am I saying – of course you don’t! You’re a Tory!
- Again – are you immediately available to start taking bullets for me? There are so many of them!
Lots of love,
Thankfully for May, there were hundreds of Tories who met this description. Unluckily for us, these people are all still in power.
– Join The Canary, so we can keep holding the powerful to account.
Featured image via Daniel Leal-Olivas of i-Images – Flickr
We need your help ...
The coronavirus pandemic is changing our world, fast. And we will do all we can to keep bringing you news and analysis throughout. But we are worried about maintaining enough income to pay our staff and minimal overheads.
Now, more than ever, we need a vibrant, independent media that holds the government to account and calls it out when it puts vested economic interests above human lives. We need a media that shows solidarity with the people most affected by the crisis – and one that can help to build a world based on collaboration and compassion.
We have been fighting against an establishment that is trying to shut us down. And like most independent media, we don’t have the deep pockets of investors to call on to bail us out.
Can you help by chipping in a few pounds each month?