Nine deer at Japanese park die after swallowing plastic bags
Nine deer have died after swallowing plastic bags at a park in western Japan.
Nara Park has more than 1,000 deer, and tourists can feed them special sugar-free crackers sold in nearby shops.
The crackers do not come in plastic bags, but people carry them and a veterinarian said the deer may associate the plastic with food.
The Nara Deer Preservation Foundation says nine of the 14 deer that have died since March had plastic in their stomachs.
Masses of tangled plastic litter and packets of snacks were retrieved from their stomachs, with the heaviest amount weighing 4.3 kilograms.
Rie Maruko, a veterinarian who belongs to the animal conservation group, was quoted by Kyodo News as saying the dead deer were so skinny he could feel their bones.
Deer have four-chambered stomachs, and eating objects that cannot be digested can leave them malnourished and weakened.
Deer are traditionally a messenger of gods in Japan’s native Shinto religion, and they roam freely in the park in the capital city of Nara prefecture.
Volunteers participated in a cleanup campaign in the park on Wednesday.
We know everyone is suffering under the Tories - but the Canary is a vital weapon in our fight back, and we need your support
The Canary Workers’ Co-op knows life is hard. The Tories are waging a class war against us we’re all having to fight. But like trade unions and community organising, truly independent working-class media is a vital weapon in our armoury.
The Canary doesn’t have the budget of the corporate media. In fact, our income is over 1,000 times less than the Guardian’s. What we do have is a radical agenda that disrupts power and amplifies marginalised communities. But we can only do this with our readers’ support.
So please, help us continue to spread messages of resistance and hope. Even the smallest donation would mean the world to us.
Leave a ReplyYou must be logged in to leave a comment.Join the conversation
Please read our comment moderation policy here.