The Tories have fucked it. The leadership doesn’t have a clue; the members hate the leadership, and the donors don’t know what they’re paying for anymore. Despite that, the party has to stand in elections still. Or does it?
The Tories’ 2019 local election campaign suggests they’ve all just gone into hiding.
Heads in the sand
The problem with Tory activists going door-to-door is that people live behind those doors. Many voters have questions like:
- What the fuck are you idiots doing about Brexit?
- So austerity – that was all bollocks, wasn’t it. How are you going to give us back the last ten years?
- Are you clowns going to ignore climate change right up until the point when it’s too late, or will you ignore it after that, too?
The Tories have a plan to avoid all this. They’re going to hide. So keep an eye out, because soon-to-be ex-councillors are out there. Maybe you’ll see one in the undergrowth. Maybe you’ll see another clinging to the bottom of a milk float. Possibly you won’t see any, because they’ve all joined Nigel Farage’s Brexit Party.
All bad things
The problem with Toryism is that eventually you run out of people to blame. Pointing at the economy and shouting “Labour dunnit” ceases to work when you’ve been in power for a decade. Especially when things have only got worse.
Think about it. Can you even remember the last time you saw Theresa May?
She was clinging to the bottom of a local milk float.
Featured image via pxhere
We need your help to keep speaking the truth
Every story that you have come to us with; each injustice you have asked us to investigate; every campaign we have fought; each of your unheard voices we amplified; we do this for you. We are making a difference on your behalf.
Our fight is your fight. You’ve supported our collective struggle every time you gave us a like; and every time you shared our work across social media. Now we need you to support us with a monthly donation.
We have published nearly 2,000 articles and over 50 films in 2021. And we want to do this and more in 2022 but we don’t have enough money to go on at this pace. So, if you value our work and want us to continue then please join us and be part of The Canary family.
In return, you get:
* Advert free reading experience
* Quarterly group video call with the Editor-in-Chief
* Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
* 20% discount in our shop
Almost all of our spending goes to the people who make The Canary’s content. So your contribution directly supports our writers and enables us to continue to do what we do: speaking truth, powered by you. We have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence our vital opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right-wing mainstream media.
With your help we can continue:
* Holding political and state power to account
* Advocating for the people the system marginalises
* Being a media outlet that upholds the highest standards
* Campaigning on the issues others won’t
* Putting your lives central to everything we do
We are a drop of truth in an ocean of deceit. But we can’t do this without your support. So please, can you help us continue the fight?