Some things just sell themselves. No-deal Brexit, it seems, is not one of them:
So how does one sell a product like no-deal Brexit? Johnson’s original plan was to rip off tried-and-tested ad campaigns. Suggestions included:
- Got Brexit?
- Maybe she’s born with it; maybe she just can’t get the medicated shampoo she needs since the ports closed.
- You know when you’ve been Brexited.
- Just do it. We can’t think of any good reasons for no-deal, so please, just do it.
- Have a break – have all the time off you need, in fact – we’re moving the factory to China.
- No-deal Brexit makes you drunk.
- The future’s bright; the future’s President Orange and his NHS-eating trade deal.
- Its wash-your-fingers-after-handling-the-chlorinated-chicken good.
- Vorsprung durch it up ’em!
- I’m loving (Brex)it.
- A Brexit each generation stops the doctors graduating.
- No-deal Brexit – the best a man can negotiate.
After analysing them all, Johnson decided to go with simply:
No-deal Brexit: aren’t you just a little bit curious to see how much worse things can get?
Johnson has a minuscule majority, no electoral mandate, and the worst policy idea since Atlantis decided to cut flood defences. He does have an advertising budget, though.
If the latter trumps the former, it looks like we can conclusively say Brex sells.
Featured image via Wikimedia
Do your bit for independent journalism
Did you know that less than 1.5% of our readers contribute financially to The Canary? Imagine what we could do if just a few more people joined our movement to achieve a shared vision of a free and fair society where we nurture people and planet.
We need you to help out, if you can.
When you give a monthly amount to fund our work, you are supporting truly independent journalism. We hold power to account and have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence the counterpoint to the mainstream.
You can count on us for rigorous journalism and fearless opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right wing mainstream media.
In return you get:
- Advert free reading experience
- Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
- 20% discount from our shop