University students across the country are being exposed for the bigoted ‘jokes’ they hoped to keep private

whatsapp icon
Support us and go ad-free

11 students from the University of Warwick have been temporarily suspended after they made crude jokes about rape, sexual assault, racism, and paedophilia in a group chat. But it’s not just Warwick students who have been exposed and punished for their private messages. It’s happening at other universities as well.

Suspended

An official complaint was made to the University of Warwick about a group messenger chat involving 11 students. The complaint included 98 screenshots, which student newspaper the Boar has released.

There were discussions about raping female students, as well as jokes about a female student who was sexually assaulted, and female genital mutilation (FGM). One student also said he hates “Jews” and “n****s”. The university told the Boar:

From time to time the University will issue a precautionary suspension to a student or students while a potential disciplinary matter is being investigated.

The University would not normally comment further on such a suspension until the relevant processes had concluded.

Expelled

The University of Exeter, meanwhile, has expelled law students who sent “racist and vile” messages to each other on a private WhatsApp group. A number of Bracton Law Society members sent messages like “If they’re black, send em back”, while also making expressions of sexism and bigotry.

The university has not specified how many students it expelled as a result of the racism row. But those who have been expelled won’t be allowed to continue their studies or return to university. Two of the students who were working at law firms were fired for the messages they sent on the WhatsApp group chat.

Read on...

Support us and go ad-free

Arsalan Motavali, 21, said he doesn’t regret exposing the group chat. The university stated:

Exeter does not tolerate any form of racist, sexist or bigoted behaviour and is committed to eradicating any instances of discrimination and harassment that may arise.

Antisemitism

At the University of Manchester, a ‘1st Year Physics’ group chat has been exposed for its antisemitic messages, published by the Mancunion. One student in the conversation said that “6 million Jews ain’t enough” in reference to the Holocaust. This was in a group chat with over 200 students. The university’s Jewish Society expressed its outrage, saying that this “overt and shameless anti-Semitism” was “blatantly unacceptable”. The university commented:

The University is a welcoming environment and we will not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment. Allegations of this nature are thoroughly investigated and if appropriate, disciplinary action will be taken.

The UK has seen a surge in hate crimes, including antisemitic incidents. The hateful and bigoted comments from university students are a reflection of a much wider problem in society. While it may be controversial to expose private conversations like this, we should welcome the fact that universities are holding these students to account.

Get Involved!

Join us, so we can keep bringing you the news that matters.

Featured image via Flickr

Support us and go ad-free

We need your help to keep speaking the truth

Every story that you have come to us with; each injustice you have asked us to investigate; every campaign we have fought; each of your unheard voices we amplified; we do this for you. We are making a difference on your behalf.

Our fight is your fight. You’ve supported our collective struggle every time you gave us a like; and every time you shared our work across social media. Now we need you to support us with a monthly donation.

We have published nearly 2,000 articles and over 50 films in 2021. And we want to do this and more in 2022 but we don’t have enough money to go on at this pace. So, if you value our work and want us to continue then please join us and be part of The Canary family.

In return, you get:

* Advert free reading experience
* Quarterly group video call with the Editor-in-Chief
* Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
* 20% discount in our shop

Almost all of our spending goes to the people who make The Canary’s content. So your contribution directly supports our writers and enables us to continue to do what we do: speaking truth, powered by you. We have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence our vital opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right-wing mainstream media.

With your help we can continue:

* Holding political and state power to account
* Advocating for the people the system marginalises
* Being a media outlet that upholds the highest standards
* Campaigning on the issues others won’t
* Putting your lives central to everything we do

We are a drop of truth in an ocean of deceit. But we can’t do this without your support. So please, can you help us continue the fight?

The Canary Support us