Coronavirus bereaved families group vows to get answers as Scottish inquiry launched

Support us and go ad-free

People who have lost loved ones from coronavirus (Covid-19) have pledged to deliver for others in the same situation, as a public inquiry was announced in Scotland.

Inquiry

Speaking at a press conference after the decision was made public on Tuesday 24 August, Alan Wightman – who leads the Scottish chapter of Covid-19 Bereaved Families for Justice – spoke directly to families who had suffered loss from the virus.

The group met with Covid Recovery Secretary John Swinney on 24 August, where they were told the inquiry would be fully established by the end of the year, with a consultation launched the same day. Meanwhile, the group’s solicitor Aamer Anwar urged prime minister Boris Johnson to follow the Scottish government’s lead and bring forward a UK-wide inquiry.

Holding back tears as he addressed the press conference, Wightman said:

There are five of us here today who have led this campaign, but there are many others that we represent. Many of them have told me their personal stories and I thank them for doing that.

We made a pledge – we will deliver, we will deliver for you – we have begun to deliver.

Read on...

Support us and go ad-free

Today, we have a commitment, we will continue and we will get the answers that they want.

Coronavirus graphic
(PA Graphics)

Wightman lost his mother Helen after she died from coronavirus in her Fife care home.

The UK-wide public inquiry is scheduled to start next spring, but Anwar – a noted human rights lawyer – said that must be brought forward to offer closure to families who have suffered bereavements across the country. He said:

Boris Johnson should take note that his Government can no longer be allowed to hold the process back from asking difficult questions.

There were 154,811 Covid-19 deaths in the UK, every single death represents failure, and public inquiries cannot be delayed any longer by a UK Government, whether it be in England, Wales, or Northern Ireland.

Covid bereaved families
Peter McMahon, left, lost his wife Debbie at the age of 53 (Andrew Milligan/PA)

“Very welcome”

Peter McMahon, who lost his wife Debbie at the age of 53 from coronavirus, was one of the campaigners who tearfully watched the first minister announce the inquiry. He said:

Thanks to Nicola Sturgeon and the rest of the Scottish Government for the decision they’ve made today, it’s very welcome. My wife Debbie, along with thousands of others, died what I see as an avoidable death aged just 53.

I would like this public inquiry to confirm who took certain decisions, clarify why they were taken, especially around the ending of shielding in July 2020.

Debbie was one of the thousands instructed to isolate in their homes because of pre-existing conditions, owing to her asthma, fibromyalgia, and the removal of one of her kidneys in 2018. Around a month after her return to work in August of 2020, Debbie contracted coronavirus and died three weeks later.

Jane Morrison, 63, is also one of the leaders of the campaign, saying on 24 August she was “delighted” about the decision. Morrison lost her wife Jacky, also in October of last year, after she contracted coronavirus in hospital after being admitted with jaundice three weeks earlier. She said:

I’m delighted that the Scottish Government has agreed to hold a public inquiry.

I think it must be said that not only are they big enough to admit that mistakes were made, I think they have a genuine desire to learn lessons and the public inquiry will allow this to happen, and more importantly it will enable families to get much-needed answers.

Support us and go ad-free

We need your help to keep speaking the truth

Every story that you have come to us with; each injustice you have asked us to investigate; every campaign we have fought; each of your unheard voices we amplified; we do this for you. We are making a difference on your behalf.

Our fight is your fight. You’ve supported our collective struggle every time you gave us a like; and every time you shared our work across social media. Now we need you to support us with a monthly donation.

We have published nearly 2,000 articles and over 50 films in 2021. And we want to do this and more in 2022 but we don’t have enough money to go on at this pace. So, if you value our work and want us to continue then please join us and be part of The Canary family.

In return, you get:

* Advert free reading experience
* Quarterly group video call with the Editor-in-Chief
* Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
* 20% discount in our shop

Almost all of our spending goes to the people who make The Canary’s content. So your contribution directly supports our writers and enables us to continue to do what we do: speaking truth, powered by you. We have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence our vital opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right-wing mainstream media.

With your help we can continue:

* Holding political and state power to account
* Advocating for the people the system marginalises
* Being a media outlet that upholds the highest standards
* Campaigning on the issues others won’t
* Putting your lives central to everything we do

We are a drop of truth in an ocean of deceit. But we can’t do this without your support. So please, can you help us continue the fight?

The Canary Support us