The fight for the future of the NHS has just stepped up a gear. On Saturday 4 March, thousands of people will be joining together to defend it. But it’s something we can all get involved in, as the event’s message couldn’t be clearer: It’s Our NHS. And The Canary wants to hear your voice on the day.
- Fully funded, publicly owned NHS & social care service.
- Stop to government cuts, closures and privatisation of the NHS.
- Lifting of the pay restraint for health service staff.
Campaigners say the Tories have forced the NHS to “its knees” since they came to power in coalition in 2010:
Private companies are gaining an ever greater foothold within the NHS. Years of pay restraint has seen the value of NHS staff salaries reduce by 14% since 2010. The Government’s Sustainability and Transformation Plans [STP] are a smokescreen for a massive programme of hospital and community service closures, and are its latest instrument for privatisation.
The facts and figures would seem to back the groups’ claims:
- The amount paid to ‘independent’ companies has more than doubled since 2010 to over £8bn a year.
- Nearly 10% of government health funding now goes to private companies.
- Private companies working in the NHS have seen their profits soar by up to 100%.
- The 1% pay cap on health service staff’s salaries has seen their money drop by 14% in real terms.
Campaigners say STPs are secret privatisation plans. And that the government splitting the NHS into 44 areas across the country is paving the way for private companies to buy it up. Watch:
It’s our NHS
The rally will see campaigners march from Tavistock Square to parliament, with transport being provided from across the country to get people to London. The PA and HCT say we have to act, before the Tories “destroy” the health service.
And as conscious rapper and poet Potent Whisper says in his piece The Rhyming Guide to NHS Privatisation:
Take a second to think about the people in your life
Who have had to use the NHS or else they would have died.
In fact, without the NHS and all that it provides
How many of you would even be here, today, alive?
Think about it. And then march for ‘Our NHS’ on 4 March.
On the day, The Canary will be filming a documentary about the #OurNHS march. If you have something to say about the health service, keep your eyes peeled for Steve Topple or Nicola Jeffery, who’ll be interviewing people along the way! Can’t make it to London or unable to find them in the crowd? DM Steve Topple on Twitter.
– Read more from The Canary on the NHS.
– Watch the film Sell Off.
– Support The Canary so we can keep bringing you the news that matters.
Featured image via Flickr
We need your help to keep speaking the truth
Every story that you have come to us with; each injustice you have asked us to investigate; every campaign we have fought; each of your unheard voices we amplified; we do this for you. We are making a difference on your behalf.
Our fight is your fight. You’ve supported our collective struggle every time you gave us a like; and every time you shared our work across social media. Now we need you to support us with a monthly donation.
We have published nearly 2,000 articles and over 50 films in 2021. And we want to do this and more in 2022 but we don’t have enough money to go on at this pace. So, if you value our work and want us to continue then please join us and be part of The Canary family.
In return, you get:
* Advert free reading experience
* Quarterly group video call with the Editor-in-Chief
* Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
* 20% discount in our shop
Almost all of our spending goes to the people who make The Canary’s content. So your contribution directly supports our writers and enables us to continue to do what we do: speaking truth, powered by you. We have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence our vital opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right-wing mainstream media.
With your help we can continue:
* Holding political and state power to account
* Advocating for the people the system marginalises
* Being a media outlet that upholds the highest standards
* Campaigning on the issues others won’t
* Putting your lives central to everything we do
We are a drop of truth in an ocean of deceit. But we can’t do this without your support. So please, can you help us continue the fight?