• Disrupting Power Since 2015
  • Donate
  • Login
Saturday, January 11, 2025
  • Login
  • Register
Canary
MEDIA THAT DISRUPTS
  • News
    • UK
    • Global
    • Analysis
    • Trending
  • Editorial
  • Features
    • Features
    • Environment
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Money
    • Science
    • Business
    • Tech
    • Travel
    • Sport & Gaming
  • Media
    • Video
    • Cartoons
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
MANAGE SUBSCRIPTION
SUPPORT
  • News
    • UK
    • Global
    • Analysis
    • Trending
  • Editorial
  • Features
    • Features
    • Environment
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Money
    • Science
    • Business
    • Tech
    • Travel
    • Sport & Gaming
  • Media
    • Video
    • Cartoons
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
Canary
No Result
View All Result

Venezuela gets foreign aid with Maduro’s consent. Canadian state media is ‘comfortable’ denying it.

Joe Emersberger by Joe Emersberger
19 February 2019
in Analysis, Global
Reading Time: 3 mins read
160 12
A A
0
Home Global Analysis
319
SHARES
2.5k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC), which is owned by the Canadian government, ran a Venezuela-related news article on 8 February. It said “[Venezuelan president Nicolás] Maduro says aid not needed in Venezuela, [opposition leader Juan] Guaido wants to allow it”. The CBC claimed Maduro “has been firm that this country does not need handouts from abroad”.

I wrote to the CBC pointing out that Maduro had actually requested and received emergency aid from the UN in November. The CBC was therefore grossly dishonest about the president’s position on international aid. Maduro objects to “aid” from the Trump administration largely because it has threatened Venezuela militarily, openly encouraged the Venezuelan military to perpetrate a coup, and imposed brutal economic sanctions.

Taking direct aim at all Venezuelans

The impact of the sanctions since August 2017 dwarfs offers of aid from anywhere.

About 60% of Venezuelan households have received supplies from the Maduro government’s ‘Local Supply and Production Committees’ (CLAP) program. That statistic is from opposition-aligned pollster (Datanálisis) and was mentioned in passing in an AP article in September. CLAPs distribute food and other basic products directly to households throughout Venezuela.

Trump’s sanctions take direct aim at Venezuela’s population by starving the Maduro government of revenues it needs for programs like CLAP. And last month, Trump made the sanctions far worse.

Moreover, Trump’s special envoy for Venezuela is Elliott Abrams. And he’s a man who played a pivotal role in keeping US material support flowing to death squads in Central America during the 1980s. He was also involved with disguising arms shipments as “humanitarian aid”. So there’s significant cause for suspicion.

The “past” is present

CBC editor Paul Hambleton replied to me saying that an update was added to the article. In the text of the article, the CBC added a comment saying “Venezuela has accepted foreign aid in the past, and Maduro has not always been consistent in his statements on the subject”. A link to the Reuters report I passed along was included in the “update”.

Firstly, referring to November 2018 – only three months ago – as “the past” is comically evasive. But more importantly, Venezuela is receiving foreign aid now.

ABC News reported on 2 February that the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) “currently brings in its own medical supplies and emergency trauma care to support six hospitals located across the country.” Venezuelanalysis, meanwhile, has pointed out that both the UN and ICRC (whose work inside Venezuela requires approval from Maduro’s government) have been publicly critical of Trump’s “aid“ stunt. Venezuelanalysis also noted that the ICRC and UN have – this month – announced plans to expand their operations inside Venezuela.

I replied to Hambleton again and explained why his update was wrong. He told me the CBC article was “narrowly focused” and that he was “comfortable” with it. And indeed, Western journalists are nothing if not “comfortable” with dishonest reporting about a government that Washington has in its gunsights.

Featured image via Kremlin and WikiCommons

Share128Tweet80
Previous Post

Watch privileged Venezuelan opposition support US sanctions and even military intervention

Next Post

2020 could be Bernie’s year. And progressives are already excited.

Next Post
Sanders has attacked Trump for his record on workers' rights.

2020 could be Bernie's year. And progressives are already excited.

Aaron Mate on Venezuela a dictatorship 03

Independent journalist debunks myth about Venezuela being a dictatorship

Filming in markets in Venezuela

See the side of daily Venezuelan life that the corporate media isn’t showing you

Images of Angela Smith in different colours

‘Normal tinged’ woman vows to fight racism

Donald Trump making a speech

In a bizarre speech, Trump tells the US people that terrorists 'give us hope'

Please login to join discussion
Palestine march BBC
News

150 MPs and public figures slam the Met over pro-Palestine BBC march restriction

by The Canary
10 January 2025
Why Does RTP Matter in Online Slot Gaming?
Sport & Gaming

Bringing the thrill directly to your screen: what you need to know about live casinos

by Nathan Spears
9 January 2025
Free Online Games Without Downloading or Registration: Play Instantly
Sport & Gaming

How the UK’s Gambling Laws are Shaping the Casino Industry in 2024

by Nathan Spears
9 January 2025
schools funding
Analysis

Headteachers warn of Labour’s austerity 2.0 as schools face ‘death by a thousand cuts’

by James Wright
9 January 2025
Brexit
Analysis

Another Brexit ‘win’ thanks to Nigel Farage: the UK now has a critical skills shortage

by The Canary
9 January 2025
  • Contact
  • About & FAQ
  • Get our Daily News Email
  • Privacy Policy
  • Cookie Policy

The Canary
PO Box 71199
LONDON
SE20 9EX

Canary Media Ltd – registered in England. Company registration number 09788095.

For guest posting, contact [email protected]

For other enquiries, contact: [email protected]

The Canary is owned and run by independent journalists and volunteers, NOT offshore billionaires.

You can write for us, or support us by making a regular or one-off donation.

© Canary Media Ltd 2024, all rights reserved | Website by Monster | Hosted by Krystal | Privacy Settings

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • UK
    • Global
    • Analysis
    • Trending
  • Editorial
  • Features
    • Features
    • Environment
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Money
    • Science
    • Business
    • Tech
    • Travel
    • Sport & Gaming
  • Media
    • Video
    • Cartoons
  • Opinion

© 2023 Canary - Worker's co-op.

Before you go, have you seen...?

Palestine march BBC
News
The Canary

150 MPs and public figures slam the Met over pro-Palestine BBC march restriction

Sport & Gaming
Nathan Spears

Bringing the thrill directly to your screen: what you need to know about live casinos

Sport & Gaming
Nathan Spears

How the UK’s Gambling Laws are Shaping the Casino Industry in 2024

schools funding
Analysis
James Wright

Headteachers warn of Labour’s austerity 2.0 as schools face ‘death by a thousand cuts’

ADVERTISEMENT
Sport & Gaming
Nathan Spears

Bringing the thrill directly to your screen: what you need to know about live casinos

Sport & Gaming
Nathan Spears

How the UK’s Gambling Laws are Shaping the Casino Industry in 2024

Analysis
Nathan Spears

Vote for the Press Photograph of the Year 2024