Say what you will about Boris Johnson, but he’s certainly reinvented the role of foreign secretary. Whereas previously the job involved putting Britain’s best foot forward, Johnson has foregone feet altogether & stumbles the globe, arse over tit.
This reinvention may not be entirely of his own design, however. As Karl Pilkington, a.k.a. the Idiot Abroad, has alleged plagiarism.
Moron at large
Pilkington claims that several of the foreign secretary’s ‘antics’ were direct rip-offs from his show. The borrowed material includes when Johnson:
- Pinched his nose for the duration of a France visit.
- Exposed himself during a meeting with Brazil’s president and asked “does this look normal to you?”
- Sold minted hit-maker Ed Sheeran to Japan for a year’s supply of tentacle porn.
- Loudly ate kangaroo testicles at an Austrian state function (yes – that’s Austrian).
- Wiped his filthy hands on India’s second-most revered sacred cow.
- Refused to believe that Kenya has plumbing and conducted his bathroom behaviour accordingly.
Of course, this tom-twattery isn’t the worst thing Johnson does. If anything, it’s probably just a mask for the rest of it.
That isn’t to say you can’t criticise him for both, though. Because An Idiot Abroad may be funny, but so was Airplane!, and no one holds that up as an example of exceptional travel provision.
Do your bit for independent journalism
Did you know that less than 1.5% of our readers contribute financially to The Canary? Imagine what we could do if just a few more people joined our movement to achieve a shared vision of a free and fair society where we nurture people and planet.
We need you to help out, if you can.
When you give a monthly amount to fund our work, you are supporting truly independent journalism. We hold power to account and have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence the counterpoint to the mainstream.
You can count on us for rigorous journalism and fearless opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right wing mainstream media.
In return you get:
- Advert free reading experience
- Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
- 20% discount from our shop