Reducing police numbers does not seem to have reduced crime. While this was predictable to most, it turns out the Tories expected otherwise.
Which has now thrown some of their other plans into doubt…
Idiocy is competence
The Tories had planned the following:
- Increase the number of fires being extinguished by firing fire fighters.
- Decrease the number of people kicking the can by shit-canning doctors.
- Lay waste to heaps of rubbish by dumping refuse collectors.
- Grow the number of children getting a decent education by shrinking the number of teachers.
- Build a country with fewer builders but more buildings by engineering a situation in which engineering contracts were given to Carillion.
Who would a’ thunk it
Off The Perch caught up with the UK’s leading expert on obviousness. We asked her if gutting the number of people tasked with performing a function ever led to said function being performed better.
“Obviously not,” she told us. “What’s less obvious is why you had to ask an expert.”
The government has hit back, however, with a spokesperson announcing that:
How were we supposed to know that gutting public services like an eel would lead to a hot, slippery mess?
Read on...Support us and go ad-free
To be honest, we blame the experts. It’s very difficult to get anything done when they’re constantly warning you about stuff. It took all our energy just to blank them out and do what we planned in the first place.
Obviously there’s no joy in the Tories being proven wrong though.
Not when what you were right about was the absolute fucking state of this.
Featured image via Graham Lavender – Flickr (image was altered)
Do your bit for independent journalism
Did you know that less than 1.5% of our readers contribute financially to The Canary? Imagine what we could do if just a few more people joined our movement to achieve a shared vision of a free and fair society where we nurture people and planet.
We need you to help out, if you can.
When you give a monthly amount to fund our work, you are supporting truly independent journalism. We hold power to account and have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence the counterpoint to the mainstream.
You can count on us for rigorous journalism and fearless opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right wing mainstream media.
In return you get:
- Advert free reading experience
- Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
- 20% discount from our shop