The Tories did a lot in the last year. Which isn’t to say they achieved a lot. They were out there, though – getting things done. Just not the sort of things that needed doing.
The Tories split their time in the last sitting of parliament across a few key areas:
- Ensuring every ministerial position was occupied by the worst candidate for the job.
- Ensuring ‘adequate food’ was prepared for after Brexit (allegedly a million tonnes of cheese and onion cocktail sticks).
- Committing, covering up, and resigning from their various scandals.
- Planning new ways of not planning a Brexit plan.
- Identifying problems with the roll out of Universal Credit and ensuring they remained unfixed.
- Apologising for Boris Johnson.
- Preparing jokes for Prime Minister’s Questions to distract easily-duped journalists from the fact that SHE NEVER ANSWERS THE QUESTIONS.
- Thinking eugenics conference attendee Toby Young would be a good fit for the university regulator.
- Hoping no one finds out Jacob Rees-Mogg is a steam-powered Terminator from the Victorian Era who was sent here to restore the Empire.
- Pointing at anything they don’t like and saying “that’s communist”.
What the Tories haven’t done much of is actually governing the country.
Of course, there are benefits to the Tories being off for six weeks. For a start, it’s difficult for them to fuck anything up when they’re not here.
– Join The Canary, so we can keep holding the powerful to account.
We need your help to keep speaking the truth
Every story that you have come to us with; each injustice you have asked us to investigate; every campaign we have fought; each of your unheard voices we amplified; we do this for you. We are making a difference on your behalf.
Our fight is your fight. You’ve supported our collective struggle every time you gave us a like; and every time you shared our work across social media. Now we need you to support us with a monthly donation.
We have published nearly 2,000 articles and over 50 films in 2021. And we want to do this and more in 2022 but we don’t have enough money to go on at this pace. So, if you value our work and want us to continue then please join us and be part of The Canary family.
In return, you get:
* Advert free reading experience
* Quarterly group video call with the Editor-in-Chief
* Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
* 20% discount in our shop
Almost all of our spending goes to the people who make The Canary’s content. So your contribution directly supports our writers and enables us to continue to do what we do: speaking truth, powered by you. We have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence our vital opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right-wing mainstream media.
With your help we can continue:
* Holding political and state power to account
* Advocating for the people the system marginalises
* Being a media outlet that upholds the highest standards
* Campaigning on the issues others won’t
* Putting your lives central to everything we do
We are a drop of truth in an ocean of deceit. But we can’t do this without your support. So please, can you help us continue the fight?