On The Andrew Marr Show on 21 July, musician Brian Eno unapologetically slammed the media campaign to destroy Jeremy Corbyn.
“Sustained campaign against him”
Eno told Marr:
I have always admired him and trusted him, I suppose, which is not something you can easily say about many politicians. I think that it’s difficult to make an assessment of him when there has been such a sustained campaign against him. So there’s a lot of anti-Corbyn propaganda, and… most of the media – the 85% that one would probably call right-wing media – do their best to tell you every bad story about him, so it’s a little bit difficult to get a picture of him.
— nonouzi (@Gerrrty) July 21, 2019
The thing is, the BBC is very much a part of the “sustained campaign” against Corbyn. The public service broadcaster attempts to fend off the threat to the establishment through:
- Stacking panels and pundits full of anti-Corbyn talking heads. In 19 episodes of Sunday Politics, for instance, right-wingers dominated every show. Left-wingers appeared on three of those episodes.
- Misrepresenting information concerning Labour, such as selectively editing emails, broadcasting factual inaccuracies, and making images showing Corbyn next to Osama Bin Laden or on the Kremlin sky line.
Recently another celebrity, Hugh Grant, slammed the Sunday Times for launching what he termed “psy ops” against the Labour leader. With Labour ahead in a number of polls in spite of the smear campaign, it seems many people are seeing through it. Eno spoke for many on The Andrew Marr Show.
Featured image via YouTube – Will Pollard
Do your bit for independent journalism
Did you know that less than 1.5% of our readers contribute financially to The Canary? Imagine what we could do if just a few more people joined our movement to achieve a shared vision of a free and fair society where we nurture people and planet.
We need you to help out, if you can.
When you give a monthly amount to fund our work, you are supporting truly independent journalism. We hold power to account and have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence the counterpoint to the mainstream.
You can count on us for rigorous journalism and fearless opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right wing mainstream media.
In return you get:
- Advert free reading experience
- Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
- 20% discount from our shop