Shadow Trade Secretary Barry Gardiner did not hold back in a Sky interview on 20 April. Gardiner called out host Adam Boulton for giving Conservative Iain Duncan Smith a gentle ride:
On Sky, Gardiner didn’t hold back:
Adam, why did you let him off the hook?
The MP for Brent North questioned whether Labour receives the same treatment:
If that had been a Labour minister sitting there who had failed on their key pledge on immigration…
Cutting through a defensive host, Gardiner continued:
She didn’t get it below 100,000. And in fact, it’s now up to almost 300,000. This was a key manifesto commitment and you just sort of sit back and say ‘oh well you didn’t manage it’. And now they are saying to you ‘look it doesn’t matter, we’ll just control it in some way’. And you say ‘oh well that’s fine’. This is outrageous. you’re supposed to be holding him to account. You’re going to do that to me.
I’m not going to accept that I’m not going to treat all parties with equal fairness.
Labour and immigration
Then, the presenter put the question onto Gardiner:
Is Labour going to have this target of getting immigration below 100,000?
Gardiner, who is also Shadow Minister for International Climate Change, replied:
Shall I tell you why not? In fact, what we’ve done is put our economic policy before our immigration policy
Research by two leading migration economists at University College showed European migrants made a net contribution of £20bn to UK public finances from 2000-11. If people give in to the xenophobic narrative, it only legitimises anti-immigrant scapegoating. This hands votes to the Conservatives and UKIP.
On any issue, progressive parties need to directly challenge corporate media bias. Hats off to Gardiner for taking Sky to pieces.
– Register to vote in the 8 June general election. If you don’t have a national insurance number, a 5 minute phone call on 0300 200 3500 will get it sent to you in ten days.
– Discuss the key policy issues with family members, colleagues and neighbours. And organise! Join (and participate in the activities of) a union, an activist group, and/or a political party.
– Read more from The Canary on the 2017 general election.
– Support and read news outlets that hold the powerful to account. Here are some we recommend. Please add more that you like in the comments:
The Canary, Media Diversified, Novara Media, Corporate Watch, Common Space, Media Lens, Bella Caledonia, Vox Political, Evolve Politics, New Internationalist, Real Media, Red Pepper, Reel News, STRIKE! magazine, The Bristol Cable, The Meteor, Salford Star, The Ferret.
Featured image via YouTube screenshot
We need your help to keep speaking the truth
Every story that you have come to us with; each injustice you have asked us to investigate; every campaign we have fought; each of your unheard voices we amplified; we do this for you. We are making a difference on your behalf.
Our fight is your fight. You’ve supported our collective struggle every time you gave us a like; and every time you shared our work across social media. Now we need you to support us with a monthly donation.
We have published nearly 2,000 articles and over 50 films in 2021. And we want to do this and more in 2022 but we don’t have enough money to go on at this pace. So, if you value our work and want us to continue then please join us and be part of The Canary family.
In return, you get:
* Advert free reading experience
* Quarterly group video call with the Editor-in-Chief
* Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
* 20% discount in our shop
Almost all of our spending goes to the people who make The Canary’s content. So your contribution directly supports our writers and enables us to continue to do what we do: speaking truth, powered by you. We have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence our vital opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right-wing mainstream media.
With your help we can continue:
* Holding political and state power to account
* Advocating for the people the system marginalises
* Being a media outlet that upholds the highest standards
* Campaigning on the issues others won’t
* Putting your lives central to everything we do
We are a drop of truth in an ocean of deceit. But we can’t do this without your support. So please, can you help us continue the fight?