On Thursday 4 May, BBC Question Time came from Wigan. And Brexit Secretary David Davis was on the panel for the Conservative Party. But his performance was hardly a glowing reflection of the Tories, as he repeatedly lied throughout the programme.
For example, Davis repeatedly said that work is the best way out of poverty:
But the facts simply do not support this:
- More than 14 million people in the UK now live in relative poverty. But officially, only 1.6 million people are unemployed.
- The number of children living in poverty rose by 400,000 from 2010/11 to 2015/16 to four million.
- 66% of children living in poverty are in working households.
- Nearly half of all poverty in the UK is directly linked to disability.
Food banks were another topic that came up on Question Time. But Davis denied that the Tories were responsible for the increase in food bank use. He claimed that Theresa May was right to say there are “complex reasons” why people go to food banks:
Davis may say that people going to food banks is not something the Tories “want to see”. But under their watch:
- The number of three-day food packages sent out by the Trussell Trust increased from 40,898 to 1,182,954 between 2010 and 2016-17. An increase of 2,792%.
- And the real figures are much worse. The All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) on Hunger estimates that over half the emergency food issued comes from organisations independent from the Trussell Trust’s figures.
- An Oxford University study confirms a “robust link” between the stripping down of the welfare state and food bank use.
An audience member brought up the NHS. And members of the Question Time panel, including Plaid Cymru leader Leanne Wood, said the Tories were trying to “privatise” the health service. But Davis denied this, saying:
But once again, this is simply not the case. Because there are facts:
- The amount the NHS paid to ‘independent’ companies has more than doubled since 2010 to over £8bn a year.
- Nearly 10% of government health funding now goes to private companies.
- Private companies working in the NHS have seen their profits soar by up to 100%.
Tories: blatant liars
The fact that a senior Tory like Davis can publicly lie as he did on Question Time is unsurprising. And it encapsulates the Conservatives’ attitude to the public. But when May still refuses to take part in televised debates for the general election, you know that her party’s record speaks for itself. That is, it’s appalling. And no amount of deceit from the Tories can hide that fact.
– Register to vote in the 8 June general election. People can call 0300 200 3500 if they don’t already have a national insurance number.
– Discuss the key policy issues with family members, colleagues and neighbours. And organise! Join (and participate in the activities of) a union, an activist group, and/or a political party.
– Also read more Canary articles on the 2017 general election.
Featured image via screengrab
We need your help to keep speaking the truth
Every story that you have come to us with; each injustice you have asked us to investigate; every campaign we have fought; each of your unheard voices we amplified; we do this for you. We are making a difference on your behalf.
Our fight is your fight. You’ve supported our collective struggle every time you gave us a like; and every time you shared our work across social media. Now we need you to support us with a monthly donation.
We have published nearly 2,000 articles and over 50 films in 2021. And we want to do this and more in 2022 but we don’t have enough money to go on at this pace. So, if you value our work and want us to continue then please join us and be part of The Canary family.
In return, you get:
* Advert free reading experience
* Quarterly group video call with the Editor-in-Chief
* Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
* 20% discount in our shop
Almost all of our spending goes to the people who make The Canary’s content. So your contribution directly supports our writers and enables us to continue to do what we do: speaking truth, powered by you. We have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence our vital opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right-wing mainstream media.
With your help we can continue:
* Holding political and state power to account
* Advocating for the people the system marginalises
* Being a media outlet that upholds the highest standards
* Campaigning on the issues others won’t
* Putting your lives central to everything we do
We are a drop of truth in an ocean of deceit. But we can’t do this without your support. So please, can you help us continue the fight?