After openly declaring war on the membership in 2015, Labour right-wingers are finally raising the white flag. Speaking before a packed audience of five people, Chuka Umunna said:
It’s over. There’s only so many times you can be told you don’t have a solution to the crisis of capitalism before you begin to suspect that just calling people ‘trash’ isn’t cutting it.
The dissenters in the Labour Party are very good at ‘crybully’ tactics. This involves:
- Calling ordinary Labour members ‘Trots, rabble, dogs’, etc.
- Pointing out the predictable online response as an example of why Labour members are all scumbags.
- Rinse and repeat.
They like to keep politics on this level, because the alternative is to discuss policy ideas, and THEY DON’T HAVE ANY.
Although the crybully tactics did prevent any focus on their lack of policies, they never actually worked. In fact, one analyst found that every time someone like Chris Leslie referred to an ordinary person as a ‘hard-left, Trotskyist infiltrator’, thousands of people googled ‘communism’. What they found was:
- Despite its disastrous application under several dictators, communism will be needed to some degree after automation leads to mass unemployment.
- Neither Corbyn nor the majority of members, is proposing communism.
- MPs like Chris Leslie are idiots.
The pleading is coming now because the proposed new centrist party looks dead in the water. It’s also looking like the deselection of MPs is a real possibility. Politicians shouldn’t be worried about deselection, though. Unless they’ve spent the last few years slandering the ordinary members who’ll have the power to deselect them. Those MPs should be very worried indeed.
– Join The Canary, so we can keep holding the powerful to account.
Featured image via Chatham House – Flickr [IMAGE WAS ALTERED]
We need your help to keep speaking the truth
Every story that you have come to us with; each injustice you have asked us to investigate; every campaign we have fought; each of your unheard voices we amplified; we do this for you. We are making a difference on your behalf.
Our fight is your fight. You’ve supported our collective struggle every time you gave us a like; and every time you shared our work across social media. Now we need you to support us with a monthly donation.
We have published nearly 2,000 articles and over 50 films in 2021. And we want to do this and more in 2022 but we don’t have enough money to go on at this pace. So, if you value our work and want us to continue then please join us and be part of The Canary family.
In return, you get:
* Advert free reading experience
* Quarterly group video call with the Editor-in-Chief
* Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
* 20% discount in our shop
Almost all of our spending goes to the people who make The Canary’s content. So your contribution directly supports our writers and enables us to continue to do what we do: speaking truth, powered by you. We have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence our vital opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right-wing mainstream media.
With your help we can continue:
* Holding political and state power to account
* Advocating for the people the system marginalises
* Being a media outlet that upholds the highest standards
* Campaigning on the issues others won’t
* Putting your lives central to everything we do
We are a drop of truth in an ocean of deceit. But we can’t do this without your support. So please, can you help us continue the fight?