After openly declaring war on the membership in 2015, Labour right-wingers are finally raising the white flag. Speaking before a packed audience of five people, Chuka Umunna said:
It’s over. There’s only so many times you can be told you don’t have a solution to the crisis of capitalism before you begin to suspect that just calling people ‘trash’ isn’t cutting it.
The dissenters in the Labour Party are very good at ‘crybully’ tactics. This involves:
- Calling ordinary Labour members ‘Trots, rabble, dogs’, etc.
- Pointing out the predictable online response as an example of why Labour members are all scumbags.
- Rinse and repeat.
They like to keep politics on this level, because the alternative is to discuss policy ideas, and THEY DON’T HAVE ANY.
Although the crybully tactics did prevent any focus on their lack of policies, they never actually worked. In fact, one analyst found that every time someone like Chris Leslie referred to an ordinary person as a ‘hard-left, Trotskyist infiltrator’, thousands of people googled ‘communism’. What they found was:
- Despite its disastrous application under several dictators, communism will be needed to some degree after automation leads to mass unemployment.
- Neither Corbyn nor the majority of members, is proposing communism.
- MPs like Chris Leslie are idiots.
The pleading is coming now because the proposed new centrist party looks dead in the water. It’s also looking like the deselection of MPs is a real possibility. Politicians shouldn’t be worried about deselection, though. Unless they’ve spent the last few years slandering the ordinary members who’ll have the power to deselect them. Those MPs should be very worried indeed.
– Join The Canary, so we can keep holding the powerful to account.
Featured image via Chatham House – Flickr [IMAGE WAS ALTERED]
Do your bit for independent journalism
Did you know that less than 1.5% of our readers contribute financially to The Canary? Imagine what we could do if just a few more people joined our movement to achieve a shared vision of a free and fair society where we nurture people and planet.
We need you to help out, if you can.
When you give a monthly amount to fund our work, you are supporting truly independent journalism. We hold power to account and have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence the counterpoint to the mainstream.
You can count on us for rigorous journalism and fearless opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right wing mainstream media.
In return you get:
- Advert free reading experience
- Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
- 20% discount from our shop