Revealing emails about Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign in the US have driven a number of global headlines since their public release on 7 October. Here are just five of them that you really ought to read.
Background on the email leak
According to WikiLeaks, a mere 1% of the Hillary Clinton campaign files (known as the Podesta emails) had been released at the time of this article’s publication. These emails were hacked from Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta’s private Gmail account, and their release came immediately on the heels of the emergence of an embarrassing video of Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump making harassing and sleazy sexual comments about women (which added to his already poor record).
The Podesta emails provide a candid glimpse into the ways in which the Clinton campaign crafts public perception on issues ranging from Syria to the environment, to free trade, to Republican rivals, or to her likeability among common voters.
You need to have a public position and a private position on policy.
The downloadable 80 pages of paid speech excerpts and other emails contain glaring contradictions between her private and public positions. A number of these have direct bearing on key global events and crises.
Highlighted below are five shocking revelations which come from the first ‘Podesta’ email dump:
1) Clinton has repeatedly called for a ‘No Fly Zone’ over Syria for the express purpose of ‘protecting civilians’ from the Assad government, yet she admitted in a private 2013 speech that this would actually kill more civilians:
Hillary Clinton just reiterated her call for a No Fly Zone that she acknowledged would "kill a lot of Syrians" pic.twitter.com/9aHOWwkLOe
— Max Blumenthal (@MaxBlumenthal) October 10, 2016
2) Clinton smeared US environmental activists as “phony” stooges who were “being funded by the Russians”:
— WikiLeaks (@wikileaks) October 8, 2016
3) The Clinton camp tried to “elevate” unsavoury “extreme” right-wing candidates into the media spotlight as her potential presidential rivals, presumably to rig the election in her favour:
— WikiLeaks (@wikileaks) October 9, 2016
Note: HRC = Hillary Rodham Clinton, DNC = Democratic National Committee
4) Hillary affirmed that a country she considers a close ally, Saudi Arabia, has spread extremism across the globe over the past 30 years – and even now openly supports terror organisations in Syria by “indiscriminately” supplying weapons:
Hillary Clinton in private Jewish speech "Saudis have exported more extreme ideology than any other place on earth." https://t.co/2kL8e8fz5W
— WikiLeaks (@wikileaks) October 8, 2016
Clinton knew Saudis were shipping weapons to terrorists in Syria – but continues to support arms sales to Clinton Found. donor Saudi Arabia. pic.twitter.com/BrxzEBZAQC
— Sharmine Narwani (@snarwani) October 10, 2016
5) Clinton’s staff was given extensive instructions on how to plant stories in the media with “friendly journalists” who have “teed up” stories for the Clinton campaign in the past:
— The Intercept (@theintercept) October 9, 2016
The second batch of the Podesta emails has been released and is viewable here.
– View and search the “Podesta emails” here.
– Support The Canary so we can keep holding the powerful to account.
Featured image via pameladrew212/Wikimedia Commons
We know everyone is suffering under the Tories - but the Canary is a vital weapon in our fight back, and we need your support
The Canary Workers’ Co-op knows life is hard. The Tories are waging a class war against us we’re all having to fight. But like trade unions and community organising, truly independent working-class media is a vital weapon in our armoury.
The Canary doesn’t have the budget of the corporate media. In fact, our income is over 1,000 times less than the Guardian’s. What we do have is a radical agenda that disrupts power and amplifies marginalised communities. But we can only do this with our readers’ support.
So please, help us continue to spread messages of resistance and hope. Even the smallest donation would mean the world to us.