The House of Lords is so undemocratic it makes Vladimir Putin and Kim Jong un look like…
…it’s actually hard to think of a properly democratic democracy.
The point is that the Lords are undemocratic, anyway. And yet the government has somehow made them even less democratic – namely by introducing a raft of new peers.
Wall to wall shit
The government has had trouble because many of the lords aren’t going along with Brexit. It turns out that giving someone the power to do whatever they want and telling them they’re a lord can actually lead to people doing whatever they want and lording it up.
As such, the House has been stuffed with some Lords who are sure to support Brexit. These lords will be great now, but they could cause problems in future:
- LORD MORRISSEY: PROS – definitely wants Brexit. CONS – wants meat-eaters to be treated like war criminals.
- LORD KATIE HOPKINS: PROS – literally foaming at the mouth for Brexit. CONS – is very possibly rabid, and could pose a health risk.
- LORD VADER: PROS – usually does what he’s told. CONS – might turn on Theresa May at a crucial moment and throw her down a shaft.
- LORD HINDLEY: PROS – seems like the sort of person who’d be pro-Brexit. CONS – she’s dead. Although her odour may at least mask the stench of corruption.
- LORD PREDATOR: PROS – would like to destroy the EU. CONS – would like to destroy humanity.
- LORD FARAGE: PROS – has previously expressed a fondness for Brexit. CONS – many.
Where does it end?
If these Lords do end up becoming a pain, there is at least an obvious solution: more fucking Lords. You know – just really cramming them in there until they’re spilling out of the windows like raw, overflowing sewage.
Isn’t taking back control of our democracy wonderful?
– Join The Canary, so we can keep holding the powerful to account.
We need your help to keep speaking the truth
Every story that you have come to us with; each injustice you have asked us to investigate; every campaign we have fought; each of your unheard voices we amplified; we do this for you. We are making a difference on your behalf.
Our fight is your fight. You’ve supported our collective struggle every time you gave us a like; and every time you shared our work across social media. Now we need you to support us with a monthly donation.
We have published nearly 2,000 articles and over 50 films in 2021. And we want to do this and more in 2022 but we don’t have enough money to go on at this pace. So, if you value our work and want us to continue then please join us and be part of The Canary family.
In return, you get:
* Advert free reading experience
* Quarterly group video call with the Editor-in-Chief
* Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
* 20% discount in our shop
Almost all of our spending goes to the people who make The Canary’s content. So your contribution directly supports our writers and enables us to continue to do what we do: speaking truth, powered by you. We have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence our vital opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right-wing mainstream media.
With your help we can continue:
* Holding political and state power to account
* Advocating for the people the system marginalises
* Being a media outlet that upholds the highest standards
* Campaigning on the issues others won’t
* Putting your lives central to everything we do
We are a drop of truth in an ocean of deceit. But we can’t do this without your support. So please, can you help us continue the fight?