Theresa May’s general election campaign has so far consisted of invitation-only events, and four words repeated relentlessly: ‘strong and stable leadership’. But during an interview with Radio Derby, May moved her campaign beyond parody.
During the 27 April interview, host Chris Doidge asked Theresa May if she knew what a ‘mugwump’ is. This was a word used by Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson to deride Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn. May responded:
What I recognise is that what we need in this country is strong and stable leadership.
Yes, she did it.
Allies and foes alike in the media united in stunned recoil at May’s failure to human. Stig Abell, former managing editor of The Sun, said:
This is, astonishingly, not a parody. https://t.co/yyXnFuwUUy
Read on...Support us and go ad-free
— Stig Abell (@StigAbell) April 27, 2017
And Guardian columnist Hadley Freeman tweeted:
This entire election, in one exchange https://t.co/RTWdAW7kLK
— Hadley Freeman (@HadleyFreeman) April 27, 2017
But fortunately, most voters have already noticed that May has just one argument to support her campaign.
— David Schneider (@davidschneider) April 26, 2017
Perhaps it’s time for the Prime Minister to try out some new lines? Unless, of course, she doesn’t have any.
– Register to vote in the 8 June general election. If you don’t have a national insurance number, a 5 minute phone call on 0300 200 3500 will get it sent to you in ten days.
– Discuss the key policy issues with family members, colleagues and neighbours. And organise! Join (and participate in the activities of) a union, an activist group, and/or a political party.
– Also read more Canary articles on the 2017 general election.
Featured image via screengrab
Do your bit for independent journalism
Did you know that less than 1.5% of our readers contribute financially to The Canary? Imagine what we could do if just a few more people joined our movement to achieve a shared vision of a free and fair society where we nurture people and planet.
We need you to help out, if you can.
When you give a monthly amount to fund our work, you are supporting truly independent journalism. We hold power to account and have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence the counterpoint to the mainstream.
You can count on us for rigorous journalism and fearless opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right wing mainstream media.
In return you get:
- Advert free reading experience
- Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
- 20% discount from our shop