With no financial backing or advertising, Libby Freeman has had extraordinary success selling necklaces with a ‘special’ message for Theresa May.
The jewellery combines style, swag and sticking it to the Tories. In total, the project has raised £40,000 since Freeman launched it with her friend Kate six days ago.
60% of the profits go to Calais Action, an organisation raising resources for refugees. The remaining 40% goes to Partisan Collective, which seeks to provide a community space for grassroots cultural and political activities in Manchester.
‘How so many people feel’
Freeman told The Canary why she thinks the necklaces are so popular:
I think “Fuck the Tories” just sums up how so many people feel
Read on...Support us and go ad-free
The Set Designer listed some reasons why:
They’ve taken us out of Europe, they’re dismantling the NHS, they’ve fucked over people with disabilities, the young, the poor and the marginalised. They’ve ignored refugees and abandoned child refugees.
Freeman, who lives in Hackney, has a point:
- Under the Tories, NHS privatisation doubled from 2010-16.
- The UN has accused the Conservatives of “systemic and grave” violations of the rights of disabled people.
- The Conservatives scrapped a scheme to bring in unaccompanied child refugees.
- Tuition fees have tripled.
So Freeman felt that it was “important” that the money raised went to those “oppressed” by the Conservatives. Our Conservative government even went as far as to ignore nearly 1,600 offers from local councils to take in more child refugees.
Respect to Kate and Libby for helping out where our government has failed.
– Bag your own necklace here, and help refugees in the process!
– End systemic problems by registering to vote in the 8 June general election.
– #TrollAid: Turn trolls into fundraising machines using this link. If someone is trolling minorities on the internet, see how much money can be raised in their name.
– Feeling bold? Email [email protected] to host a fundraiser.
Featured image via Libby Freeman and 10 Downing Street
We need your help to keep speaking the truth
Every story that you have come to us with; each injustice you have asked us to investigate; every campaign we have fought; each of your unheard voices we amplified; we do this for you. We are making a difference on your behalf.
Our fight is your fight. You’ve supported our collective struggle every time you gave us a like; and every time you shared our work across social media. Now we need you to support us with a monthly donation.
We have published nearly 2,000 articles and over 50 films in 2021. And we want to do this and more in 2022 but we don’t have enough money to go on at this pace. So, if you value our work and want us to continue then please join us and be part of The Canary family.
In return, you get:
* Advert free reading experience
* Quarterly group video call with the Editor-in-Chief
* Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
* 20% discount in our shop
Almost all of our spending goes to the people who make The Canary’s content. So your contribution directly supports our writers and enables us to continue to do what we do: speaking truth, powered by you. We have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence our vital opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right-wing mainstream media.
With your help we can continue:
* Holding political and state power to account
* Advocating for the people the system marginalises
* Being a media outlet that upholds the highest standards
* Campaigning on the issues others won’t
* Putting your lives central to everything we do
We are a drop of truth in an ocean of deceit. But we can’t do this without your support. So please, can you help us continue the fight?