Footage from Jeremy Corbyn’s visit to Scotland shows scenes happening around the Labour leader which would never happen to Theresa May. A Scottish cyclist catches up to Corbyn’s car as it’s stopped at a red light, and the unthinkable happens.
A rare moment
The cyclist calls for Jeremy Corbyn to open his window so he can speak to him, and the Labour leader promptly does. The unnamed cyclist then says:
I wish you all the success Mr Corbyn. I hope you become our next Prime Minister.
I think you handle yourself fantastic.
As Corbyn thanks the rider, voices from other cars begin shouting ‘Corbyn!’ until the whole queue of traffic is cheering.
Read on...Support us and go ad-free
— Momentum (@PeoplesMomentum) May 29, 2017
It is the latest moment in the Labour campaign which goes some way to explaining the party’s staggering rise in the polls. Labour is now polling 57 points ahead of the Conservatives with people under the age of twenty five.
In an era when trust in politicians is so eroded, it’s more common for passersby to throw eggs than compliments. Which makes the scenes in Scotland all the more remarkable.
We can’t imagine Theresa May getting the same reception at any venue. Except perhaps the Maidenhead Conservative Club.
– Get out there and vote on 8 June.
– Discuss the key policy issues with family members, colleagues and neighbours. And organise! Join (and participate in the activities of) a union, an activist group, and/or a political party.
– Also read more Canary articles on the 2017 general election.
– Support The Canary if you value the work we do.
Featured image via Twitter
We need your help to keep speaking the truth
Every story that you have come to us with; each injustice you have asked us to investigate; every campaign we have fought; each of your unheard voices we amplified; we do this for you. We are making a difference on your behalf.
Our fight is your fight. You’ve supported our collective struggle every time you gave us a like; and every time you shared our work across social media. Now we need you to support us with a monthly donation.
We have published nearly 2,000 articles and over 50 films in 2021. And we want to do this and more in 2022 but we don’t have enough money to go on at this pace. So, if you value our work and want us to continue then please join us and be part of The Canary family.
In return, you get:
* Advert free reading experience
* Quarterly group video call with the Editor-in-Chief
* Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
* 20% discount in our shop
Almost all of our spending goes to the people who make The Canary’s content. So your contribution directly supports our writers and enables us to continue to do what we do: speaking truth, powered by you. We have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence our vital opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right-wing mainstream media.
With your help we can continue:
* Holding political and state power to account
* Advocating for the people the system marginalises
* Being a media outlet that upholds the highest standards
* Campaigning on the issues others won’t
* Putting your lives central to everything we do
We are a drop of truth in an ocean of deceit. But we can’t do this without your support. So please, can you help us continue the fight?