A leading campaign group is trying to get every Labour leaning voter to take the ‘day off’ on Thursday 8 June. And its reason is very simple: Jeremy Corbyn needs you to get people to come out and vote for him.
A bold move
Momentum, the Corbyn-supporting grassroots campaign group, has launched its ‘Election Day Pledge’ campaign. The idea is a simple one: people sign up to Momentum’s pledge, receive information on how they can support Labour in their area, and then on 8 June, go out and help on the doorstep, encouraging people to go and vote. Journalist Paul Mason, who is supporting the campaign along with Noam Chomsky and Owen Jones, explains:
The group says:
[8 June] is the day we knock on doors of those we’ve identified as Labour voters, to remind them to vote. It’s the day our efforts on the doorstep will win or lose the election. One person can knock on 100 doors in one day – which in marginal seats can mean the difference between a Labour MP, or someone else.
The Election Day Pledge campaign is part of a wider strategy by Momentum. Its initiatives have included:
- Phone canvassing app. During the last Labour leadership election, Momentum used their phone canvassing app, previously called Grassroots Now, to make more than 100,000 calls to Labour members and supporters. It is now using peer-to-peer texting to mobilise activists.
- Campaign Days. Momentum is mobilising its activists and supporters in key Labour marginals. It’s held nearly fifty campaign days, in constituencies such as Croydon, Crewe & Nantwich, Plymouth, Hampstead and Kilburn and Sheffield Hallam.
- My Nearest Marginal. A website detailing all Labour’s target election constituencies in the UK. It allows anyone to type in their postcode and then find their nearest swing seat. But, uniquely, people can then connect with others to organise carpools, to travel to constituencies and join Labour Party canvassing sessions. In less than three weeks, My Nearest Marginal has attracted more than 70,000 unique users from across the Labour Party and over 300,000 page views.
- Bernie Sanders Training. Momentum has held more than 20 activist doorstep skills sessions across the country. The sessions included talks by senior organisers from the Bernie Sanders campaign.
- Phonebanks. Momentum has already called thousands of its members from its London and regional phone banks encouraging them to go canvassing in marginal constituencies and attend training sessions.
Come rain or shine on 8 June
But the Election Day Pledge is probably its boldest campaign move yet. A spokesperson for Momentum told The Canary:
8 June is the most important day of campaigning. It is the day we get on the doorstep and make sure Labour voters cast their ballot. It is the day we make sure the millions of young people who registered to vote make it to the polling station. We’ve already had thousands of Labour activists pledge the day on 8 June. But we need more.
If you want to transform Britain and get Jeremy Corbyn in Downing Street go to www.electiondaypledge.co.uk and pledge some time on 8 June.
Momentum is one of the most diverse and ingenious campaign groups in the UK. During the course of this general election, it has constantly looked for new and inventive ways to engage and inspire voters. And now, with the final stretch of the campaign in sight, Momentum is hoping that come rain or shine, Labour’s supporters will be out in their droves to vote. And it has a plan to make sure this happens.
– Get out there and vote on 8 June. And encourage others to do the same.
– Discuss the key policy issues with family members, colleagues and neighbours. And organise! Join (and participate in the activities of) a union, an activist group, and/or a political party.
– Support The Canary if you value the work we do.
Featured image via Momentum
Do your bit for independent journalism
Did you know that less than 1.5% of our readers contribute financially to The Canary? Imagine what we could do if just a few more people joined our movement to achieve a shared vision of a free and fair society where we nurture people and planet.
We need you to help out, if you can.
When you give a monthly amount to fund our work, you are supporting truly independent journalism. We hold power to account and have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence the counterpoint to the mainstream.
You can count on us for rigorous journalism and fearless opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right wing mainstream media.
In return you get:
- Advert free reading experience
- Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
- 20% discount from our shop