Fashion magazine editor Dylan Jones tried to make Jeremy Corbyn look like a d**khead. But it blew up in his face. The Labour leader will feature on the cover of the January/February edition of GQ. As well as the front cover, Corbyn took part in an interview with the magazine.
“Pushed around like a Grandpa”
Jones went on BBC Radio 4 to speak about the interview. The GQ editor claimed the photo shoot was “tortuous” and “as difficult as shooting any Hollywood celebrity”. He also said that Corbyn’s team didn’t understand he couldn’t turn up in an Anorak and that the Labour leader was “pushed around like a Grandpa for the family Christmas photograph”.
But the comments the GQ editor made about Corbyn quickly unravelled. Jones has since been forced to admit that he was actually not present during the interview or shoot. Viewers also criticised BBC Radio 4 for not disclosing Jones’ political affiliations. The GQ editor has gone on the record as a Conservative voter. And David Cameron was paid £20,000 [paywall] for interviews featured in a book Jones wrote about the former prime minister.
A number of accusations Jones made about the Labour leader on the BBC haven’t aged well:
- Jones claimed Corbyn couldn’t name a single book he’d read. But in the interview Corbyn names three.
- Jones claimed interviewer Stuart McGurk was a fan of Corbyn, but left “disillusioned”. On the contrary, McGurk’s twitter timeline suggests he was never a Corbyn supporter.
- Jones also said that the team behind the Corbyn edition believed he could “turn water into wine”, but then found him “quite underwhelming”. Yet the behind-the-scenes video suggests many of the team weren’t Corbyn fans.
Given the inconsistencies, Corbyn supporters assembled a video calling out Jones:
He's a liar liar…
GQ magazine forced to admit its editor was not at the photoshoot with Jeremy Corbyn, after Dylan Jones described it as “tortuous” on #r4today https://t.co/Ij3SDLsJts pic.twitter.com/I6TdCyh8xW
Read on...Support us and go ad-free
— I was a JSA claimant (@imajsaclaimant) December 1, 2017
If the Cameron biographer disagrees with Corbyn politically perhaps he should come up with some political arguments. Instead, an apparent attempt to smear the Labour leader blew up in his face.
– Read and support the work of independent outlets which seek to hold the powerful to account. Please add more that you like in the comments:
The Canary, Media Diversified, Novara Media, Corporate Watch, Common Space, Media Lens, Bella Caledonia, Vox Political, Evolve Politics, Real Media, Reel News, STRIKE! magazine, The Bristol Cable, The Meteor, Salford Star, The Ferret.
We need your help to keep speaking the truth
Every story that you have come to us with; each injustice you have asked us to investigate; every campaign we have fought; each of your unheard voices we amplified; we do this for you. We are making a difference on your behalf.
Our fight is your fight. You’ve supported our collective struggle every time you gave us a like; and every time you shared our work across social media. Now we need you to support us with a monthly donation.
We have published nearly 2,000 articles and over 50 films in 2021. And we want to do this and more in 2022 but we don’t have enough money to go on at this pace. So, if you value our work and want us to continue then please join us and be part of The Canary family.
In return, you get:
* Advert free reading experience
* Quarterly group video call with the Editor-in-Chief
* Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
* 20% discount in our shop
Almost all of our spending goes to the people who make The Canary’s content. So your contribution directly supports our writers and enables us to continue to do what we do: speaking truth, powered by you. We have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence our vital opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right-wing mainstream media.
With your help we can continue:
* Holding political and state power to account
* Advocating for the people the system marginalises
* Being a media outlet that upholds the highest standards
* Campaigning on the issues others won’t
* Putting your lives central to everything we do
We are a drop of truth in an ocean of deceit. But we can’t do this without your support. So please, can you help us continue the fight?