Speaking about May’s Chequers plan, Boris Johnson has claimed that:
for the first time since 1066, our leaders were deliberately acquiescing in foreign rule.
Johnson was forgetting the UK has acquiesced to foreign rule by several foreign powers since 1066. These powers have included:
The British are such good acquiescers that many of us are currently courting Donald Trump for a trade deal – a man who promised to crush anyone with whom he conducts trade.
Despite stiff competition from Adam Sandler, the most malign foreign influence on the UK in recent years has been Rupert Murdoch. In the past few decades he’s:
- Made Tony Blair get a tattoo on his lower back that reads ‘Rupy’s Boy’.
- Threatened to destroy Gordon Brown’s career unless he made this face in interviews.
- Told David Cameron a vote on EU membership ‘couldn’t go wrong’.
- Let Theresa May just get on with it and carry on humiliating herself on a weekly basis.
As spineless as those leaders were, they look like political giraffes in comparison to the slug that is Boris Johnson. In other words, it’s unlikely he’ll stand up to Britain’s actual threats.
– Join The Canary, so we can keep holding the powerful to account.
Featured image via screengrab [IMAGE WAS ALTERED]
We need your help to keep speaking the truth
Every story that you have come to us with; each injustice you have asked us to investigate; every campaign we have fought; each of your unheard voices we amplified; we do this for you. We are making a difference on your behalf.
Our fight is your fight. You’ve supported our collective struggle every time you gave us a like; and every time you shared our work across social media. Now we need you to support us with a monthly donation.
We have published nearly 2,000 articles and over 50 films in 2021. And we want to do this and more in 2022 but we don’t have enough money to go on at this pace. So, if you value our work and want us to continue then please join us and be part of The Canary family.
In return, you get:
* Advert free reading experience
* Quarterly group video call with the Editor-in-Chief
* Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
* 20% discount in our shop
Almost all of our spending goes to the people who make The Canary’s content. So your contribution directly supports our writers and enables us to continue to do what we do: speaking truth, powered by you. We have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence our vital opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right-wing mainstream media.
With your help we can continue:
* Holding political and state power to account
* Advocating for the people the system marginalises
* Being a media outlet that upholds the highest standards
* Campaigning on the issues others won’t
* Putting your lives central to everything we do
We are a drop of truth in an ocean of deceit. But we can’t do this without your support. So please, can you help us continue the fight?