Speaking about May’s Chequers plan, Boris Johnson has claimed that:
for the first time since 1066, our leaders were deliberately acquiescing in foreign rule.
Johnson was forgetting the UK has acquiesced to foreign rule by several foreign powers since 1066. These powers have included:
The British are such good acquiescers that many of us are currently courting Donald Trump for a trade deal – a man who promised to crush anyone with whom he conducts trade.
Despite stiff competition from Adam Sandler, the most malign foreign influence on the UK in recent years has been Rupert Murdoch. In the past few decades he’s:
- Made Tony Blair get a tattoo on his lower back that reads ‘Rupy’s Boy’.
- Threatened to destroy Gordon Brown’s career unless he made this face in interviews.
- Told David Cameron a vote on EU membership ‘couldn’t go wrong’.
- Let Theresa May just get on with it and carry on humiliating herself on a weekly basis.
As spineless as those leaders were, they look like political giraffes in comparison to the slug that is Boris Johnson. In other words, it’s unlikely he’ll stand up to Britain’s actual threats.
– Join The Canary, so we can keep holding the powerful to account.
Featured image via screengrab [IMAGE WAS ALTERED]
Do your bit for independent journalism
Did you know that less than 1.5% of our readers contribute financially to The Canary? Imagine what we could do if just a few more people joined our movement to achieve a shared vision of a free and fair society where we nurture people and planet.
We need you to help out, if you can.
When you give a monthly amount to fund our work, you are supporting truly independent journalism. We hold power to account and have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence the counterpoint to the mainstream.
You can count on us for rigorous journalism and fearless opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right wing mainstream media.
In return you get:
- Advert free reading experience
- Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
- 20% discount from our shop