Speaking about May’s Chequers plan, Boris Johnson has claimed that:
for the first time since 1066, our leaders were deliberately acquiescing in foreign rule.
Johnson was forgetting the UK has acquiesced to foreign rule by several foreign powers since 1066. These powers have included:
The British are such good acquiescers that many of us are currently courting Donald Trump for a trade deal – a man who promised to crush anyone with whom he conducts trade.
Despite stiff competition from Adam Sandler, the most malign foreign influence on the UK in recent years has been Rupert Murdoch. In the past few decades he’s:
- Made Tony Blair get a tattoo on his lower back that reads ‘Rupy’s Boy’.
- Threatened to destroy Gordon Brown’s career unless he made this face in interviews.
- Told David Cameron a vote on EU membership ‘couldn’t go wrong’.
- Let Theresa May just get on with it and carry on humiliating herself on a weekly basis.
As spineless as those leaders were, they look like political giraffes in comparison to the slug that is Boris Johnson. In other words, it’s unlikely he’ll stand up to Britain’s actual threats.
– Join The Canary, so we can keep holding the powerful to account.
Featured image via screengrab [IMAGE WAS ALTERED]
Since you're here ...
We know you don't need a lecture. You wouldn't be here if you didn't care.
Now, more than ever, we need your help to challenge the rightwing press and hold power to account. Please help us survive and thrive.