With the high-profile resignations of David Davis and Boris Johnson, Theresa May has had to reshuffle her cabinet. The issue is that the Tories the prime minister has promoted have an embarrassing thing in common: they all have abysmal views on the departments they now run.
Additionally, they are all white, middle-aged men.
- Consistently voted for making the mass surveillance of innocent citizens legal
- Constantly voted against expanding local democracy
- Voted for privatisation of assets that were owned by the people
With Jeremy Hunt promoted to foreign secretary, the prime minister filled the position of health secretary with Matt Hancock. Even though Hunt is gone, it’s not good news for people who value a fully public NHS, as Hancock’s voting record and financial backers suggest:
- He voted in favour of the Health and Social Care bill, which opened up the NHS to commercialisation
- He’s consistently voted in favour of allowing NHS trusts to profit from patients
- He is funded by the chairman of the Institute for Economic Affairs, which has an outright policy of privatising the NHS
May promoted former housing minister Dominic Raab to Brexit secretary after the resignation of David Davis. Leading the department for exiting the EU, the MP for Esher and Walton is responsible for protecting workers’ rights post-Brexit. But Raab has some backwards views on the matter, which this video from GMB union shows:
The Prime Minister has appointed someone to be Brexit Secretary who believes in weakening workers' rights.
Read on...Support us and go ad-free
Dominic Raab is a direct threat to UK workers.
SHARE the facts ↓↓ pic.twitter.com/Ryrxe6uX8z
— GMB UNION (@GMB_union) July 9, 2018
Hit with the resignation of Boris Johnson, May promoted Jeremy Hunt to foreign secretary. But the MP for South West Surrey’s voting record and statements show he has some terrible views on foreign policy:
- No matter the country or situation, Hunt has consistently voted for military action overseas.
- Wants to “combat” the boycott, divestment and sanctions movement (BDS) that aims to end the illegal Israeli occupation of Palestine.
- Consistently voted for Trident renewal
- Generally voted against equal gay rights
- Voted in favour of repealing the human rights act
- Doesn’t have a Twitter account and has said the word “digital” twice in 13 years in parliament.
May has gifted every one of her cabinet promotions to a white, middle-aged man. And all of them have awful opinions on the crucial sections of British society they now run. We need to throw these dinosaurs out of parliament, now.
– Join The Canary, so we can keep holding the powerful to account.
We need your help to keep speaking the truth
Every story that you have come to us with; each injustice you have asked us to investigate; every campaign we have fought; each of your unheard voices we amplified; we do this for you. We are making a difference on your behalf.
Our fight is your fight. You’ve supported our collective struggle every time you gave us a like; and every time you shared our work across social media. Now we need you to support us with a monthly donation.
We have published nearly 2,000 articles and over 50 films in 2021. And we want to do this and more in 2022 but we don’t have enough money to go on at this pace. So, if you value our work and want us to continue then please join us and be part of The Canary family.
In return, you get:
* Advert free reading experience
* Quarterly group video call with the Editor-in-Chief
* Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
* 20% discount in our shop
Almost all of our spending goes to the people who make The Canary’s content. So your contribution directly supports our writers and enables us to continue to do what we do: speaking truth, powered by you. We have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence our vital opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right-wing mainstream media.
With your help we can continue:
* Holding political and state power to account
* Advocating for the people the system marginalises
* Being a media outlet that upholds the highest standards
* Campaigning on the issues others won’t
* Putting your lives central to everything we do
We are a drop of truth in an ocean of deceit. But we can’t do this without your support. So please, can you help us continue the fight?