Donald Trump is going to be President of the United States. Some well-meaning but misguided people are saying we should all relax and cheer up; that it’s just a bit of politics that won’t affect our daily lives. But it will. In very real and horrifying ways. And I am not going to ‘cheer the f*ck up’ about that – and neither should you.
What will Trump actually do?
This is what Americans are facing from the Donald Trump presidency:
- LGBT Americans are facing the repeal of Equal Marriage laws and the prospect of their marriages being made illegal.
- Women face the outlawing of abortion.
- 11 million immigrants face deportation.
- Non-white people face persecution, violence and harassment.
This is not speculation or fearmongering. It’s what Trump has promised to do, and what his supporters have elected him to do.
And here’s what the international community is facing from the Trump presidency:
- An end to US funding of and participation in climate change initiatives.
- A US President who considers autocratic Russian nationalist Vladimir Putin a strong leader – a man who has participated in the vilification of and violence against LGBT people on an industrial scale, and is an imperialist anti-democrat.
- Bans on Muslims seeking to migrate to the US to flee war or persecution.
- An end to the most meagre aspirations for peace in the Middle East, or a Palestinian homeland.
What’s worse is that this election result has overridden the US system of checks and balances on presidential power. Usually, US voters select a president from one party (the Executive branch of government) while putting the other party in power in the Senate and House of Representatives (the Legislative branch), and the Judiciary (Supreme Court) moderates against and on behalf of both. Checks and balances.
But in this election, voters have placed Republican Donald Trump in the White House, and returned Republican majorities in both the Senate and the House of Representatives; and these will choose the Supreme Court Justices. This means all three branches of federal government in the US will be the most right-wing in history. There are no real checks and balances. Just a tsunami of the worst elements of right-wing American exceptionalism.
So, no. I’m not going to ‘cheer up’ today. I’m going to express my sadness and solidarity with the people who will suffer under President Trump. Then, I’m going to do EVERYTHING in my power to stop the growth of this man’s ideology, and to move humanity forward to a better world – where we base our votes and our daily actions on love, peace, sustainability and community.
I invite you all to join me. We’re all going to have our part to play in this.
– Support The Canary so we can keep holding the powerful to account.
Featured image via Flickr Creative Commons
We need your help to keep speaking the truth
Every story that you have come to us with; each injustice you have asked us to investigate; every campaign we have fought; each of your unheard voices we amplified; we do this for you. We are making a difference on your behalf.
Our fight is your fight. You’ve supported our collective struggle every time you gave us a like; and every time you shared our work across social media. Now we need you to support us with a monthly donation.
We have published nearly 2,000 articles and over 50 films in 2021. And we want to do this and more in 2022 but we don’t have enough money to go on at this pace. So, if you value our work and want us to continue then please join us and be part of The Canary family.
In return, you get:
* Advert free reading experience
* Quarterly group video call with the Editor-in-Chief
* Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
* 20% discount in our shop
Almost all of our spending goes to the people who make The Canary’s content. So your contribution directly supports our writers and enables us to continue to do what we do: speaking truth, powered by you. We have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence our vital opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right-wing mainstream media.
With your help we can continue:
* Holding political and state power to account
* Advocating for the people the system marginalises
* Being a media outlet that upholds the highest standards
* Campaigning on the issues others won’t
* Putting your lives central to everything we do
We are a drop of truth in an ocean of deceit. But we can’t do this without your support. So please, can you help us continue the fight?