Some of the UK’s wealthiest people think that Brexit is going to make them even richer. And while it looks like good news for them, the rest of us are facing dire straits.
They give you Rule Britannia…
- 78% thought Brexit would have a “positive effect” on their financial plans.
- 83% of millionaires aged 18-34 thought leaving the EU would be good for their long-term financial planning; the figure was 70% for 35-44-year-olds and 74% for over-64s.
- 75% thought Brexit would have long term positive impact on the UK economy.
- More than 70% thought the UK would still be a ‘safe haven’ for big business after Brexit.
Some blame the management…
Meanwhile, another report found that the world’s super rich would continue to flock to London. Property management consultants Knight Frank predict that, by 2027, the number of super-rich people in London will go up by 30% to 12,310.
But for the rest of us, the Brexit outlook isn’t so rosy.
There’s an economic freeze
As The Canary previously reported, inflation is set to rocket to 4.1% by the end of 2017. Meaning the cost of everything we buy will go up. This comes as government advisers the Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) downgraded its target for the so-called National Living Wage. The Tories said it would be £9.00 by 2020. But the OBR now says [paywall] it will be £8.80.
They’ve got Brexiteers’ disease
The government has openly shown itself to have no economic forecasts or planning for Brexit. But this doesn’t seem to matter to the UK’s richest people. As Britain continues to lollop along the path towards leaving the EU, it is, as always, the poorest getting the rough end of the deal.
– Read more from The Canary on Brexit.
Featured image via Flickr
Do your bit for independent journalism
Did you know that less than 1.5% of our readers contribute financially to The Canary? Imagine what we could do if just a few more people joined our movement to achieve a shared vision of a free and fair society where we nurture people and planet.
We need you to help out, if you can.
When you give a monthly amount to fund our work, you are supporting truly independent journalism. We hold power to account and have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence the counterpoint to the mainstream.
You can count on us for rigorous journalism and fearless opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right wing mainstream media.
In return you get:
- Advert free reading experience
- Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
- 20% discount from our shop