A thinktank supported by Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson is under investigation by the Intelligence and Security Committee (ISC).
The ISC has now agreed [paywall] to investigate Legatum and its financier’s possible links with Russia.
As The Canary has previously reported, Legatum played a role in sponsoring a paper [pdf] promoting ‘hard Brexit’. Shanker Singham, who heads Legatum’s Special Trade Commission, met with Department for Exiting the EU (DExEU) ministers and officials on numerous occasions. The Canary also reported that Legatum staffer Crawford Falconer now works directly for Britain’s International Trade Secretary Liam Fox; and that Legatum Senior Fellow Matthew Elliott, who headed the Vote Leave campaign, was reportedly targeted by Russian spy Sergey Nalobin via the Conservative Friends of Russia.
Not the full story
Recently, The Mail on Sunday also published a story on Legatum, It alleged that Singham was co-author of the infamous letter by Gove and Johnson to Prime Minister Theresa May, demanding a ‘hard Brexit’.
Legatum denies that Singham “coordinated” the Gove/Johnson letter.
But there were important links between Legatum and the Conservatives that were not covered by The Mail on Sunday. For example:
- The Legatum Institute’s CEO is Philippa Stroud, who was special adviser to Iain Duncan Smith when he was Secretary of State for Work and Pensions.
- Legatum Institute trustee Toby Baxendale is chair of the neoliberal Cobden Centre and a significant donor to the Conservative Party. He also helped run the (failed) campaign to elect Brexiteer Andrea Leadsom as Tory leader.
- Legatum trustee Richard Briance was previously a trustee of Policy Exchange, the thinktank co-founded by Environment Minister Michael Gove.
In Brexit-beleaguered Britain, it’s essential that the full truth of how we arrived at this mess is revealed. That now appears to be emerging, though perhaps too late to halt the damage.
– Read more from The Canary on Brexit.
Featured image via screengrab
We need your help to keep speaking the truth
Every story that you have come to us with; each injustice you have asked us to investigate; every campaign we have fought; each of your unheard voices we amplified; we do this for you. We are making a difference on your behalf.
Our fight is your fight. You’ve supported our collective struggle every time you gave us a like; and every time you shared our work across social media. Now we need you to support us with a monthly donation.
We have published nearly 2,000 articles and over 50 films in 2021. And we want to do this and more in 2022 but we don’t have enough money to go on at this pace. So, if you value our work and want us to continue then please join us and be part of The Canary family.
In return, you get:
* Advert free reading experience
* Quarterly group video call with the Editor-in-Chief
* Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
* 20% discount in our shop
Almost all of our spending goes to the people who make The Canary’s content. So your contribution directly supports our writers and enables us to continue to do what we do: speaking truth, powered by you. We have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence our vital opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right-wing mainstream media.
With your help we can continue:
* Holding political and state power to account
* Advocating for the people the system marginalises
* Being a media outlet that upholds the highest standards
* Campaigning on the issues others won’t
* Putting your lives central to everything we do
We are a drop of truth in an ocean of deceit. But we can’t do this without your support. So please, can you help us continue the fight?