In the run-up to the last election, Theresa May said:
Let me be clear, I will definitely not – cross my heart and hope to die – be calling another election.
Let me be clear – an election I will not call!
Let me be clear!
CLEAR, CLEAR, CLEAR!
I AM THE CLEAR WOMAN! THEY ARE THE CLEAR MEN! I AM THE WALRUS!
STOP! CLEAR TIME!
Before finally admitting:
We’re having an election. But let me be clear, this was always part of the plan; I’ve never said otherwise.
A fresh election will be problematic for May for a number of reasons:
- She has all the charm of a cheese-grater.
- She has no new policy ideas, and everyone knows that any she pretends to have will end up in the bin – just like her last manifesto.
- Everything is problematic for her. She just isn’t very good at doing things.
She’ll have to call an election whether she likes it or not, though. She said she wouldn’t. And May incorrectly saying she won’t do something is the closest thing you’ll ever get to a straight answer from her.
– Join The Canary, so we can keep holding the powerful to account.
Featured image via EU2017EE Estonian Presidency – Wikimedia [IMAGE WAS ALTERED]
We need your help to keep speaking the truth
Every story that you have come to us with; each injustice you have asked us to investigate; every campaign we have fought; each of your unheard voices we amplified; we do this for you. We are making a difference on your behalf.
Our fight is your fight. You’ve supported our collective struggle every time you gave us a like; and every time you shared our work across social media. Now we need you to support us with a monthly donation.
We have published nearly 2,000 articles and over 50 films in 2021. And we want to do this and more in 2022 but we don’t have enough money to go on at this pace. So, if you value our work and want us to continue then please join us and be part of The Canary family.
In return, you get:
* Advert free reading experience
* Quarterly group video call with the Editor-in-Chief
* Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
* 20% discount in our shop
Almost all of our spending goes to the people who make The Canary’s content. So your contribution directly supports our writers and enables us to continue to do what we do: speaking truth, powered by you. We have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence our vital opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right-wing mainstream media.
With your help we can continue:
* Holding political and state power to account
* Advocating for the people the system marginalises
* Being a media outlet that upholds the highest standards
* Campaigning on the issues others won’t
* Putting your lives central to everything we do
We are a drop of truth in an ocean of deceit. But we can’t do this without your support. So please, can you help us continue the fight?