Stephen Yaxley-Lennon (aka Tommy Robinson) has used recent media appearances to claim his freedom of speech is under threat. But is it? Or is it just his freedom to speak without someone calling him a bellend? A ‘freedom’ which doesn’t actually exist.
Let’s look at the ‘freedom of speech’ issues he’s faced:
- YAXLEY-LENNON INTERVIEWED ON TV ABOUT NOT HAVING ANY FREEDOM OF SPEECH: Clearly not a violation. You can see his lips moving and everything.
- YAXLEY-LENNON ARRESTED FOR ALLEGEDLY RISKING A MISTRIAL: Talking about political concerns when committing a crime doesn’t excuse the crime. If it did, that would be a pretty big loophole. A person could get away with murder or horse-napping by simply reading out Das Kapital during the act.
- YAXLEY-LENNON CALLED A ‘BELLEND’ FOR CONSTANTLY CLAIMING YOU CAN’T CLAIM ANYTHING THESE DAYS: As long as it doesn’t constitute hate speech or incitement, Yaxley-Lennon has the right to say whatever he wants. Equally, people have the right to call him a ‘bellend’. That’s what he has a problem with. It’s not freedom of speech he wants – it’s freedom from criticism.
Yaxley-Lennon’s tactics are pretty obvious and well worn. Despite that, many in the media think we should continually take him at face value. Funny how xenophobia is still up for debate, but something like cannibalism isn’t.
– Join The Canary, so we can keep holding the powerful to account.
Featured image via YouTube (IMAGE WAS ALTERED)
Do your bit for independent journalism
Did you know that less than 1.5% of our readers contribute financially to The Canary? Imagine what we could do if just a few more people joined our movement to achieve a shared vision of a free and fair society where we nurture people and planet.
We need you to help out, if you can.
When you give a monthly amount to fund our work, you are supporting truly independent journalism. We hold power to account and have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence the counterpoint to the mainstream.
You can count on us for rigorous journalism and fearless opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right wing mainstream media.
In return you get:
- Advert free reading experience
- Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
- 20% discount from our shop