Stephen Yaxley-Lennon (aka Tommy Robinson) has used recent media appearances to claim his freedom of speech is under threat. But is it? Or is it just his freedom to speak without someone calling him a bellend? A ‘freedom’ which doesn’t actually exist.
Let’s look at the ‘freedom of speech’ issues he’s faced:
- YAXLEY-LENNON INTERVIEWED ON TV ABOUT NOT HAVING ANY FREEDOM OF SPEECH: Clearly not a violation. You can see his lips moving and everything.
- YAXLEY-LENNON ARRESTED FOR ALLEGEDLY RISKING A MISTRIAL: Talking about political concerns when committing a crime doesn’t excuse the crime. If it did, that would be a pretty big loophole. A person could get away with murder or horse-napping by simply reading out Das Kapital during the act.
- YAXLEY-LENNON CALLED A ‘BELLEND’ FOR CONSTANTLY CLAIMING YOU CAN’T CLAIM ANYTHING THESE DAYS: As long as it doesn’t constitute hate speech or incitement, Yaxley-Lennon has the right to say whatever he wants. Equally, people have the right to call him a ‘bellend’. That’s what he has a problem with. It’s not freedom of speech he wants – it’s freedom from criticism.
Yaxley-Lennon’s tactics are pretty obvious and well worn. Despite that, many in the media think we should continually take him at face value. Funny how xenophobia is still up for debate, but something like cannibalism isn’t.
– Join The Canary, so we can keep holding the powerful to account.
Featured image via YouTube (IMAGE WAS ALTERED)
We need your help to keep speaking the truth
Every story that you have come to us with; each injustice you have asked us to investigate; every campaign we have fought; each of your unheard voices we amplified; we do this for you. We are making a difference on your behalf.
Our fight is your fight. You’ve supported our collective struggle every time you gave us a like; and every time you shared our work across social media. Now we need you to support us with a monthly donation.
We have published nearly 2,000 articles and over 50 films in 2021. And we want to do this and more in 2022 but we don’t have enough money to go on at this pace. So, if you value our work and want us to continue then please join us and be part of The Canary family.
In return, you get:
* Advert free reading experience
* Quarterly group video call with the Editor-in-Chief
* Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
* 20% discount in our shop
Almost all of our spending goes to the people who make The Canary’s content. So your contribution directly supports our writers and enables us to continue to do what we do: speaking truth, powered by you. We have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence our vital opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right-wing mainstream media.
With your help we can continue:
* Holding political and state power to account
* Advocating for the people the system marginalises
* Being a media outlet that upholds the highest standards
* Campaigning on the issues others won’t
* Putting your lives central to everything we do
We are a drop of truth in an ocean of deceit. But we can’t do this without your support. So please, can you help us continue the fight?