A lawyer-turned-campaigner has delivered a message to Theresa May about her 2017 general election. And he’s nailed why the Tories must be defeated on June 8.
Peter Stefanovic is becoming well known on social media. The lawyer-turned-campaigner is getting a reputation for producing video shorts that cut through mainstream media bias; ones that tell the viewer the whole story on political and social issues. And his instant reaction to May’s announcement of a general election is one such film:
The most savage of Tory governments
And statistics back up Stefanovic’s views. Since the Tories first came to power in the 2010 Coalition government:
- 400,000 children are now living in poverty, a figure which rose 100,000 in 2015/16. 67% of those are from working families.
- Food bank usage has risen, with over half a million people reliant [paywall] on just the Trussell Trust for food packages.
- In two reports, the UN heavily criticised the Tories for “grave” and “systematic” violations of disabled people’s human rights. The government, meanwhile, has severely cut their benefits.
- The past year has seen strikes by junior doctors, rail workers, teaching assistants, library workers, and other public sector staff. Their pay increases have mostly been capped [paywall] at 1%.
- National debt has increased by more than 50%.
- Homelessness has risen by 54%.
- Corporations have seen tax cuts [pdf] while the tax gap is around £120bn per year.
- The NHS has seen a real terms cut in the amount of money given to it per patient. While the amount of NHS money paid to ‘independent’ companies has more than doubled to £8bn a year.
- The government has cut the number of people getting social care by 26%. And it has cut £50m from children’s mental health services.
The election in the bag?
Yet despite all of this, and the threat of a hard Tory Brexit, the latest opinion polls give the Conservatives a 21% lead. Either the opinion polls are rigged, the public are listening to an inherently biased media, or the Tories’ propaganda is paying off.
Either way, with seven weeks until the general election, Labour, the SNP, the Greens and all other opposition parties have a mountain to climb if they stand a chance of defeating May’s government at the ballot box. Because if they don’t, and with the boundary review going full steam ahead, the Tories could be in power for decades.
But with people like Stefanovic on hand, we may have a chance of defeating May and her government.
Watch May’s full general election announcement below:
– Read more from The Canary on the general election
Featured image via Peter Stefanovic/screengrab
Fund our Investigations Unit
You can help us investigate corruption, expose injustice and uncover the truth.
As one of the only independent investigations units in the country, we work for you – but we need your help to keep going. We need to raise £10,000 to continue our groundbreaking investigations. Can you chip in?