A lawyer-turned-campaigner has delivered a message to Theresa May about her 2017 general election. And he’s nailed why the Tories must be defeated on June 8.
Peter Stefanovic is becoming well known on social media. The lawyer-turned-campaigner is getting a reputation for producing video shorts that cut through mainstream media bias; ones that tell the viewer the whole story on political and social issues. And his instant reaction to May’s announcement of a general election is one such film:
The most savage of Tory governments
And statistics back up Stefanovic’s views. Since the Tories first came to power in the 2010 Coalition government:
- 400,000 children are now living in poverty, a figure which rose 100,000 in 2015/16. 67% of those are from working families.
- Food bank usage has risen, with over half a million people reliant [paywall] on just the Trussell Trust for food packages.
- In two reports, the UN heavily criticised the Tories for “grave” and “systematic” violations of disabled people’s human rights. The government, meanwhile, has severely cut their benefits.
- The past year has seen strikes by junior doctors, rail workers, teaching assistants, library workers, and other public sector staff. Their pay increases have mostly been capped [paywall] at 1%.
- National debt has increased by more than 50%.
- Homelessness has risen by 54%.
- Corporations have seen tax cuts [pdf] while the tax gap is around £120bn per year.
- The NHS has seen a real terms cut in the amount of money given to it per patient. While the amount of NHS money paid to ‘independent’ companies has more than doubled to £8bn a year.
- The government has cut the number of people getting social care by 26%. And it has cut £50m from children’s mental health services.
The election in the bag?
Yet despite all of this, and the threat of a hard Tory Brexit, the latest opinion polls give the Conservatives a 21% lead. Either the opinion polls are rigged, the public are listening to an inherently biased media, or the Tories’ propaganda is paying off.
Either way, with seven weeks until the general election, Labour, the SNP, the Greens and all other opposition parties have a mountain to climb if they stand a chance of defeating May’s government at the ballot box. Because if they don’t, and with the boundary review going full steam ahead, the Tories could be in power for decades.
But with people like Stefanovic on hand, we may have a chance of defeating May and her government.
Watch May’s full general election announcement below:
– Read more from The Canary on the general election
Featured image via Peter Stefanovic/screengrab
We need your help to keep speaking the truth
Every story that you have come to us with; each injustice you have asked us to investigate; every campaign we have fought; each of your unheard voices we amplified; we do this for you. We are making a difference on your behalf.
Our fight is your fight. You’ve supported our collective struggle every time you gave us a like; and every time you shared our work across social media. Now we need you to support us with a monthly donation.
We have published nearly 2,000 articles and over 50 films in 2021. And we want to do this and more in 2022 but we don’t have enough money to go on at this pace. So, if you value our work and want us to continue then please join us and be part of The Canary family.
In return, you get:
* Advert free reading experience
* Quarterly group video call with the Editor-in-Chief
* Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
* 20% discount in our shop
Almost all of our spending goes to the people who make The Canary’s content. So your contribution directly supports our writers and enables us to continue to do what we do: speaking truth, powered by you. We have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence our vital opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right-wing mainstream media.
With your help we can continue:
* Holding political and state power to account
* Advocating for the people the system marginalises
* Being a media outlet that upholds the highest standards
* Campaigning on the issues others won’t
* Putting your lives central to everything we do
We are a drop of truth in an ocean of deceit. But we can’t do this without your support. So please, can you help us continue the fight?