Bernie Sanders has raised $6m within just 24 hours of launching his 2020 presidential campaign. More than 220,000 people have donated an average of $27 – totalling four times as much as previous frontrunner Kamala Harris for first-day donations. “They may have the money and power”, Sanders told supporters on 19 February, but “we have the people”.
And it’s not just Sanders who terrifies the US establishment. It’s the mass movement building around him.
Trump tweeted, emailed, and text-messaged his supporters—terrified of our Day 1 fundraising and sign-up numbers. He’s scared. And he should be. Help us send Trump a message in a language he’s sure to understand: Make a $10 donation to our campaign today: https://t.co/gmJT4pVDbT pic.twitter.com/pBY4p7noAZ
— Bernie Sanders (@BernieSanders) February 21, 2019
Bernie 2016: reloaded
Sanders’ 2016 bid revolutionised US political campaigning.
Like Jeremy Corbyn in the UK, Sanders energised hundreds of thousands to turn what pundits called a ‘fringe’ campaign into a mass movement. Symbolically, the average campaign donation that Sanders requested in 2016 is the same as this year: $27.
Smears and twisted logic
The closer Sanders gets to the presidency, the more we can expect smears and twisted logic.
- Sanders will be tirelessly and viciously smeared as a Russian stooge. Unfortunately, some progressives (Sanders included) are partly responsible for this by promoting the ‘Russiagate’ narrative.
- Venezuela’s economic crisis will be used to delegitimise socialism, and therefore Sanders. The Canary has already covered the stupidity of this argument in depth.
- Despite being Jewish, Sanders – like intellectual heavyweight Noam Chomsky – will likely face accusations of fuelling or enabling antisemitism.
- Sanders will be asked to denounce each and every instance of his supporters’ bad behaviour, or be accused of complicity.
- The ‘Bernie doesn’t stand a chance’, ‘Bernie can’t win the African-American and Latino vote’, and ‘Bernie’s too old, white, and male’ brigades will also be out in force.
- The Democratic Party will be among his biggest opponents. Its elites rigged the primaries in 2016; so they can’t be trusted not to do it again.
This list is, of course, incomplete.
Sanders is far from perfect. In particular, his record on foreign policy is a particular cause for concern. And since one person is much easier to control than an entire movement, establishment voices will try to direct Sanders in their preferred path through such smears, lies, and twisted logic. If successful, he must never forget the base that elected him.
Featured image via Gage Skidmore
We need your help to keep speaking the truth
Every story that you have come to us with; each injustice you have asked us to investigate; every campaign we have fought; each of your unheard voices we amplified; we do this for you. We are making a difference on your behalf.
Our fight is your fight. You’ve supported our collective struggle every time you gave us a like; and every time you shared our work across social media. Now we need you to support us with a monthly donation.
We have published nearly 2,000 articles and over 50 films in 2021. And we want to do this and more in 2022 but we don’t have enough money to go on at this pace. So, if you value our work and want us to continue then please join us and be part of The Canary family.
In return, you get:
* Advert free reading experience
* Quarterly group video call with the Editor-in-Chief
* Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
* 20% discount in our shop
Almost all of our spending goes to the people who make The Canary’s content. So your contribution directly supports our writers and enables us to continue to do what we do: speaking truth, powered by you. We have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence our vital opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right-wing mainstream media.
With your help we can continue:
* Holding political and state power to account
* Advocating for the people the system marginalises
* Being a media outlet that upholds the highest standards
* Campaigning on the issues others won’t
* Putting your lives central to everything we do
We are a drop of truth in an ocean of deceit. But we can’t do this without your support. So please, can you help us continue the fight?